Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Yukon SLE + McGaughys + Airbags = Denali Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yukon SLE + McGaughys + Airbags = Denali Quality of Ride?

Hi folks. Just picked up my 2nd Yukon, an 02 SLE riding on 22's. Had to put (poor me LOL) the McGaughys kit on it (2/3) so it would fit in my parkade.

At any rate, my other ride, an 03 Denali XL, rides like a dream with no lowering. The question is: Is this simply due to the airride on the Denali, and can I achieve a similar ride by putting a similar system on the SLE.

If so, I will gladly take advice on brand and best price. I realize that by lowering it I have probably given up a certain level of comfort but I would like to try and get some back.

Other quick questions to save more posts.

1. Anyone have pics of trimming wheelwell to get rid of tirerub? Seems to happen only on driver side.

2. Anyone know best place to get Leather replacement seats? (the SLE has cloth and no lumbar - much worse than Denali for sure!).

Muddled post, but I will appreciate any and all responses!

Thanks

Derrick

Last edited by Blowndenalixl; 04-13-2006 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Regular

Was it something I said? LOL! I have heard of a product called McGauheys air helper? Is that some form of airbag?

Take pity on me, I pay people to install these things, as I don't have the knowledge, the tools, or the time. Plus it is these damn forums that got me addicted to aftermarket SUV parts in the first place!

Thanks

D
Old 04-13-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

While i cant be of much help on everything you asked. About the seats, typically GM seats themselves, which i find quite confortable on my Denali, usually are all the same with different covers on them. Being either cloth or leather. If you really want leather, you probably can just get the leather covers from a dealer or gm parts place and just swap them with your cloth seat covers.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not familiar with McGaughy's air-ride kit so I can't say anything about that one. But what you want to remember, is that just because you add air bags to something, does not mean it's going to soften the ride. Quite the opposite actually. All you are doing is adding more suspension and creating a stiffer ride. The thing to do would be adding air bags to get a finalized height. So for instance, if you want a 2/4 drop, then start with a really soft, and I mean really soft spring that sits about an inch to low. Then use the bags to raise you up the extra inch. Now you should have an ideal ride. Also, do not by any means let your installer "tee" the bags together. Run 4 seperate controls. OR seperate fill valves if you plan on not having in cab access. If you tee them air will travel from side to side and ALL of your handling will go out the window.....
Old 04-13-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the responses Guys. Good to know that airbags might not be the solution at the end of the day, without your suggestion of modding the springs as well.

With respect to the Blown Chevy comment you quoted, I assume that was something he posted to my link? Or was that some garbage you had to put up with. Either way, he appears to be a useful member LOL.

As I said earlier in this stream, I can go ahead and do a search (actually had already) but most of the links assume that one understands how airbags work (which I don't) and how to hook them up (which I really don't). So thanks for having the grace to humor my questions. It is much appreciated.

D
Old 04-13-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

hahaha..Nah, that's just a little joke between me and him....Nothing to do with this thread.

As far as hooking your air bags up, it's really not rocket science. First decide if you think that may be the route you want to go. If it is, just be sure to start with a 4 way system. This will eliminate air transfer. Like I said before, if the bags are teed in any way, ou'll hate it. Imagine making a right hand turn. That puts pressure on the left side of your suspension. That in turn will force the air out of that bag and into the right side to equalize, causing you to lean even harder. Make sense?

With getting a smooth ride, that's one of those things you almost always, not always, but almost always, have to give up when you lower your truck. The lack of suspension travel just causes those problems. However, having put air bags on probably hundreds, if not more cars and trucks, I've found the one thing that makes the ride worse than anything, is a set of huge rims. If you stick with a larger sidewall tire, you be able to retain some of your factory ride. I know it's not always the look you may be going for, but trust me, if you're concerned with ride, try and stick with a bigger tire..

I'll shut up now..
Old 04-13-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

www.katzkin.com
Old 04-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ap2002

Katzkins has some really cool stuff. Log on to thier site and there is somewhere you can request a free sample book. You can put together some really trick custom seats with some nice leather in any look you are looking for.

Shocks can make some difference in the ride as well, but as far as I know they won't make it any softer since the factory shocks are pretty soft to start with. I put higher psi shocks on mine to compensate for a mild drop and got better handling but a slightly rougher ride.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks everyone, much appreciated