Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Yank Truck Thruster...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:25 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
Son of a gun, you are correct!
My bad
Old 02-22-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Dude, you spent all that much on your truck and you're going to skimp out on the converter? Many before you have used the tt3000 (reworked trailblazer converter) before a radix only to change it out later because it simply cannot hold. The tt3000 is like the jack of all, master of none. What you are describing is pretty much the exact same requirements I've called around and told that I wanted in a converter, and all have steered me in the way of the 258-265mm triple disk stall.
The TT3000 is a bit more than a reworked TB converter...it is a much tougher converter than the TB. The yank will withstand things that the TB could never dream of holding up to. Well worth the money and as long as you dont beat the hell out of your truck day in and day out it will hold up. Not to mention for a streetable verter, Yank is a great choice with the TT series!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll let these speak for themselves. I fully understand your point. The way I see things, do it once, and forget about it. Also, the tt @ 575 doesn't seem like a good value to me at all when it will only give you 2 or 3 tenth reduction in the 1/4th whereas a true performance converter will give you much better gains, still retain towing ability, and be stronger. It seems like a no brainer to me for $400 more. But then again, I prefer to learn from other people's mistakes/regrets.

I had the tt3000 and upgraded to the ss3600. The TT is just way to tight. It's not a performace converter. Go bigger.
I would advise against the Yank TT series. There is nothing wrong with Yank if you buy the correct converter for the application (higher end models). I had both the 3000TT and the 2600TT and both a 10.5" 2600 stall PI multi disk and currently 9.5" 3400 PI multi disk. The TT2600 cost me alot of money in tranny repairs after exploding (your more than welcome to come over and see it - its on the shelf as a conversation piece) after less than 2,000 miles. The PI's lasted through some heavy abuse (dozens of WOT lock-ups in a high 11 second 5500lb AWD truck). For a converter, pay the money now or pay 3X the money shortly after. I learned the hard way.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im just thinking that for what he needs/wants the TT series may be the best route. There's no doubt for more of an all out application you would be better off going with a different verter than the TT. However thats the whole point behind the TT to retain stock driveability and towability (for the most part) while still gaining performance.
I do like the triple disk's for more of a track truck though!!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

With forced induction the higher stall isnt needed... So those statments arent valid in my situation the guy in the quote was obviously na or nitrous and went from a 2600tt to a 3400.... Can the tt handle minor track use and granny driving on the street.... unless the obvious victum needs to be taken care of. This isnt something I really want to change in the first place but the 2600tt has got to be stronger than the stock one correct?

Last edited by 03tahoe22; 02-22-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had a TT for a year now with no complaints.As you can see it doesn't do bad at the track.

GMCtrk You said you like to do things right the first time, didn't you do 3 sets of headers in the matter of a few weeks?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 03tahoe22
With forced induction the higher stall isnt needed... So those statments arent valid in my situation the guy in the quote was obviously na or nitrous and went from a 2600tt to a 3400.... Can the tt handle minor track use and granny driving on the street.... unless the obvious victum needs to be taken care of. This isnt something I really want to change in the first place but the 2600tt has got to be stronger than the stock one correct?
I'd have to believe that the TT2600 is stronger than the factory unit. From what I've gathered, Yank uses GM cores for these converters, then upgrade the internals. I'm pretty sure that the lock up clutch is bigger than the stock unit also. I'm just a little leary of using the TT series in boosted or high hp applications. For what you plan to do with it, the TT will probably be OK, but there's always that chance I guess....
Old 02-23-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had my tune set to prevent TCC lockup on WOT runs because many (experienced) people have said that the TT series clutch may not handle the torque of FI at high rpm lockup. If you are after all out power levels you may want to consider the SC series from yank. This is their premium series TC and I believe is made to handle this kind of abuse. My TT2600 locks fine under any other driving condition and I have been very happy with this choice for my application and driving habits.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Doobie
I had my tune set to prevent TCC lockup on WOT runs because many (experienced) people have said that the TT series clutch may not handle the torque of FI at high rpm lockup.
From the info that I've gathered, you shouldn't lock the TT series at WOT in any application
Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Called around and Yank does not and never will make a multi disc converter but suggested the sc3000 9.5" and said I needed it over 2600 bc I have the "small" supercharger with not as much torque and said the 2600tt is for NA trucks with 400hp or less. Vigilante suggested the 10.5" mulit disc 2600. Circle D suggested the reworked TB 11" converter 2600 and said the transmission would break before the torque converter did. No idea what to do some many opionions.....

Last edited by 03tahoe22; 02-23-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Yank Truck Thruster...