Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Are WT springs different on a 2003 Silverado?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:14 PM
02 w/ lowest mileage 2800

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
The rear looks right for stock height but the front looks high. Is it possible this truck once had a lift kit? It looks like the valence has been trimmed to clear large tires at some point. I am guessing you have non-stock springs in the front or a coil spring spacer. Your 'suspension guy' should have caught that though.
I second that. 2" lift spring or 2" spacers
Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 AM
Teching In

OK.. ok it sounds like you guys are on the right track. I can see something like that happening. Thanks for suggesting that. In fact I just did a search on a 2003 2500 2wd, and my truck sits like those do.

Which now leads me to....do I buy some "stock" springs and use spindles to lower it 2" in the front (originally I was just going with spindles), or since I have to do the springs anyway, just use 2" lowering springs with the stock spindles? The new dilemma I guess..... I'll have to do a little research.
I've had lowered cars for years now (I do it correctly IMO) and I've found that I like a bit "firmer" ride. Right now the truck rides ok, but a bit soft for my liking.

Not that you can tell anything from this dirty pic (summer cleaning will take awhile) but here's how it looks now. Notice how the zerks are covered in dirt and looks like it's been years since they were greased.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Bit of an update in case anyone searches for this subject.

A shop owner (imports of all things) I talked to said that they did a drop on a WT and they had issues with it being too low. He said that they called Belltech and having a "Z" in the vin made the difference. I have the "Z" in my vin, called Belltech and the guy didn't know anything, and told me to call the dealer and give them the vin to find out if it has "normal" 1500 suspension. I called the dealer and gave them the vin. All they could do is give me part numbers for the springs and couldn't tell me if they were the same as the other 1500's and told me to search it out on the net. All I can come up with is that the coil springs I have are rated for a max load of 4692 lbs. But in the grand scheme of things I found 6 other spring options, so it's hard to say what's what. The part number for my front springs is 15032651 6MT and 7MT

I still have the idea that a 2" drop spring is going to drop the front about 5" due to some over sized coil
Old 04-03-2014, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

Looking at that last pic, I am wondering if you have a lift spindle. The upper ball joint arm looks a little long for a stock piece. IIRC, the top caliper mount tab is at the same level as the upper ball joint mount on a stock spindle. Look it over for some markings or part numbers.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigKID
Looking at that last pic, I am wondering if you have a lift spindle. The upper ball joint arm looks a little long for a stock piece. IIRC, the top caliper mount tab is at the same level as the upper ball joint mount on a stock spindle. Look it over for some markings or part numbers.
Winner winner.....Today I found out the answer. Unfortunately it was after I gambled on the springs being the issue. I went with Belltech spring in the front and lost. So bassicly the shop went to the junk yard and got spindles. It was that or wait for new ones to be shipped. I will agree with others I've seen that say that the Belltech springs are a little rough, but for now, they are doable.