Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Whats the best? Detroit locker, tru trac or Eaton

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can pee further then you can
Old 07-09-2010, 01:56 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I can pee further then you can

And, just to break the tension...........

Old 07-09-2010, 02:05 AM
Baltimore Whore

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ LMAO hahaha thats fugd up but LMAO
Old 07-09-2010, 02:54 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

IMO....if your gonna do a little running at the track get the eaton. I've seen tru tracs leave the starting unlocked for no apparent reason more than once. Aborted passes for some dumb **** like that is no fun. You never have to worry about an eaton doing that.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:15 AM
02 w/ lowest mileage 2800

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RST2NV
^^^What's that truck run in the 1/4??^^^ Looking at the sig its a beast!
Best run to date was a 10.8X with the old 4L60E about 2 years ago. Since that run I swapped to a 4L80E, upped the boost, added drag shocks all the way around, did some weight reduction, and I'm working on a 5 lug conversion with some lighter wheels and DR's. Hoping for some quicker passes in the next couple months!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blown02408
Best run to date was a 10.8X with the old 4L60E about 2 years ago. Since that run I swapped to a 4L80E, upped the boost, added drag shocks all the way around, did some weight reduction, and I'm working on a 5 lug conversion with some lighter wheels and DR's. Hoping for some quicker passes in the next couple months!
Keep us posted!!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like everyone has said they are both good units. I just don't like clutches and buying expensive adative so I got the true trac. I've had both units and they both perform well but I've yet to see someone break a true trac and I've seen a eaton break 2 times. Neither one have ever slipped on me (not a hardcore racer or anything) but they have both ended the one tire fire
Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Blown06
IMO....if your gonna do a little running at the track get the eaton. I've seen tru tracs leave the starting unlocked for no apparent reason more than once. Aborted passes for some dumb **** like that is no fun. You never have to worry about an eaton doing that.
It's possible that the trutracs that weren't locking were not using the correct gear oil. Guys have documented here how their trutrac didn't work when using syn, and how switching to conventional gear oil solved that issue...
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another thing that may cause uneven loading of the rear differential and is hard on any of them, is all too often at some tracks, the water box will not be addressed correctly or the driver may elect to drive around it, but still end up with one tire with more water on it than the other. Due to the torque biasing, uneven traction can cause funny thing to happen, which like I said is hard on any style differential and is one reason Pyle Bros said they actually like installing the TruTrac in a lot of peoples vehicles, because at least it is easier on components when only one tire breaks loose than one tire doing so wet, while the other is dry. From a warranty standpoint I can understand their position, but I still would prefer my diff to apply power evenly and let it be up to me to insure that both tires are prepped the same and just apply the power as it’s supposed to. Of course if everyone did this every time, I’m sure without a doubt the TruTrac would function equally as well.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eaton makes Detroit and Trutrac so the actual unit requires more specifics.

I vote for the Tru trac unit as clutches will wear out far before some steal gears will. I've been pretty hard on mine and never had any issues. I've even raced a dude while pulling my 19ft boat and it never hesitated.

+1 on using the proper gear oil. That holds true for any unit you get whether it be a full locker, tru trac, or stock g80. If you don't use the recommended oil you will have problems.

Quick Reply: Whats the best? Detroit locker, tru trac or Eaton