Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Want those 1.4x 60's, custom springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you mention those springs the L boys run. I was on the phone the other day with a guy that makes them. They are close to our diameter. I thought about trying some...
Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by foose04
Springs get there rating from each inch of compression
My truck needs to come down a little in the front, but the above statement makes me want to find a way around my original idea of cutting them.

I will say that the V6 coils do have a a lot of stored energy, or at least it seems that way. With the upper control arm hitting the droop stop, I had compress the spring A LOT just to get it loosened up so I could safely remove it.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

If you run the DJM LCA's. You can run a smaller ID spring so you might not need to go custom spring. I run Moroso springs in the front of my 67 that are made for mustangs.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slowec
Funny you mention those springs the L boys run. I was on the phone the other day with a guy that makes them.
That's who I was talking to.

Originally Posted by midevil1
If you run the DJM LCA's.
The DJM arms look really light compared to our factory pieces. My current plan is either install a JDM lighting spring, let the truck settle over a weeks time, then buy the correct DJM arm to give me the correct ride height. Another option is going with custom spring designed to keep the truck at stock ride heights, then get a 2inch DJM LCA to get ride height and have a high energy spring up there.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

I have been considering replacing the 2" Hotchkis springs I am running for the stock springs with 2" DJM lca for the same reason you are mentioning (longer spring travel and reduced control arm weight). I recently discovered a bad tierod end so this will happen sooner than later now. I am interested to see the info you get from your spring company contacts. I have a lot of weight on the front of my truck so it needs all the help it can get to come up and stay up on launch to get the weight shifted to the rear.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Will the 2" djm LCA clear with the 15" bogarts? Gotta keep those on for track duty .

Speaking of getting the front end to lift , why does our trucks fail to hang on the upper a arm limiters when our trucks are jacked up? Whats stopping them from hanging till they touch the stops?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slowec
why does our trucks fail to hang on the upper a arm limiters when our trucks are jacked up? Whats stopping them from hanging till they touch the stops?
On my truck, my shocks were too short, so I welded on some homemade extenders. Don't know what else would limit travel besides shocks...
Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Little update.

The guys over at R&H never got back with me after about a week of waiting, so decided to keep searching. After reading some good reviews on YB about a Santhuff's, I ended up ordering a set of their Landrum "Hi Energy Racing Spring". The spec's are 18", 250lb spring. They said it is going to sit lower then stock, so I shouldn't need LCA. I'm hoping lower then stock is about 2-3" at most, if not I'll have to add a spring spacer to get the level front to rear I want. Also talked the woman into finding my shackles, lol. Good times and hot damn, got lucky my factory lowering kit is adjustable and has another slot to drop the rear another inch. Also bought their spring tool as he said installing these things can make you @sshole pucker.

Look forward now to getting home and see her new stance. I "may" end up needing an adjustable front struts for more control, but well see how she does first.

Currrent stance on track tires...

Last edited by foose04; 03-02-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Nice! Looking forward to your results.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should try to keep the front about the same height and lower the rear another 2 inches or so.

That caltrac thread on YB does have a lot of good info in it.

Quick Reply: Want those 1.4x 60's, custom springs?