Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Want those 1.4x 60's, custom springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Want those 1.4x 60's, custom springs?

Plan to make some changes on the front end this year. Current setup is pretty horrible for 1/4 fun. 2inch lowering springs that are netting more around 3", just touching the bump stops. The front is very stiff, both pushing down and has almost zero recoil coming up. Struts are lakewood 90/10s.

Currently i'm looking at DJM lowering arms with two inch drop. Should save some weight and switch to a stock spring. I read the v6 springs have a longer coil, so I bought a used set figuring they may hold more energy when compressed.

However this got me thinking what about custom springs. I could then even go with 3-4 drop arms and install a longer spring that stores more energy but keeps the drop at 2". Thoughts?

Also read that trucks leave best if it they start level. It's currently at least 2-3" *** high. That also needs to be addressed. I'm thinking lowering shackles for that, the current slicks will tuck and I can use my load bags to bring it back up on the street. I'm getting about 4" lift in the rear so the Caltrac bars are doing there part putting weight on the axle.

Currently how the truck leaves with a 1.54, also got a 1.52 that day. Best is a few 1.51s.

1 54 - YouTube

Got a lot of info from a cal-trac thread over on YB. This guy seems like the only truck guy I can relate to. Runs Cals and multi-leafs. Was having problems with spinning before the 60 is up and unloading the rear. (same as me) He's leaving with turbo and trans brake at around 3500. *** High and 3-4 inch of front end travel.

16psi track rental - YouTube

Update late on he says he got his **** level and some movement up front.

1.37x 60"

9.43hd.wmv - YouTube
Old 02-10-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your sway bar still bolted up?
Old 02-10-2012, 05:06 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn 1.37 60' ??!! That would be awesome.

For what its worth i installed 2'' belltech shackles/ removed the rear block and the truck rides a lot better in the rear, also cured my terrible wheel hop.

Your therory on the front springs makes sense, ive seen guys in old camaros/cars use 6 cylinder springs for better weight distribution for launch. Im interested in how this works out for you.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sway bar on the front is removed and never had one on the rear. Currently the rear has the overload coil removed. If you watch though my truck is pretty much leaving level and that's not providing the needed weight transfer to leave with more power. I still have a ton more RPM and boost if it only stayed planted.

Another option is to leave softer off the trans-brake (3200-3400) and after one or two MPH have HPtuners hit my 35 or 50 dry shot to keep the power ramping in to keep the nose up.

Last edited by foose04; 02-10-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

There are those that have v6 springs and swear by them . There was a thread where they did not do anything for the x cab guys though. You tow that boat with 90/10's or do you swap shocks for track days?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Old 02-25-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i'm currently still deployed, so haven't got to testing anything out. I got my v6 springs in, but i'm not sure if i'm going to run them. I'm talking with a spring company right now about making some custom stuff for us similar to what the Lightning guys run. We need a long spring that stores a lot of energy, not these crap lowering springs we run. I'll report back if/when I get a set made and test/fitment.

V6 springs and my cat that's thinking what I am, why did my girl put these on the wood floors!!!

Old 02-25-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowec
You tow that boat with 90/10's or do you swap shocks for track days?
It could be that my springs are stiff or the low profile 20's, but there wasn't a "big" difference. I daily drive on them with no issues.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What spring company you talking to? Santhuff? I know that's what a lot of the bullet boys run.

You ever thought about dropping the coin on some adjustable shocks?

Do you loosen your lower control arm bolts for easier movement at the track?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

No it's a smaller place, but I may get in touch with those guys as well. Right now the shock isn't the problem. I'm only getting about 3-4" of travel and the springs stop providing lift. Springs get there rating from each inch of compression, so I'm missing outs on 100's of pounds of lift per side and thats killing the much needed weight transfer. It really is drag racing 101, i'm just surprised we have no aftermarket drag spring of the shelf.

Mine:

Drag spring on a TBSS that puts it on the bumper...

We need some trucks doing this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw2RPMJ9xVw

Last edited by foose04; 02-25-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Want those 1.4x 60's, custom springs?