Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

true trac or detroit locker?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My truck + rain = very scary ride.

I hate driving in the rain or ice.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My take on it is a little different, coming from living north of Salt Lake City on the side of a mountain. I can promise you, I wouldn’t have anything without some sort of posi. Granted, while I agree that if you horse your vehicle around in inclement weather; bad things can and will happen, if you drive with some constraint you will appreciate the extra traction when it becomes necessary. I also realize that down here, there are not many occasions that you will be going through the extremes of engine braking off the side of a mountain in a blizzard of sorts. When hitting slick spots (ice), an open differential tends to cause the vehicle to jerk side to side. To me, the only answer is to learn how hard or little you can push your vehicle in bad weather and enjoy the extra traction a posi will afford you.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bear
My take on it is a little different, coming from living north of Salt Lake City on the side of a mountain. I can promise you, I wouldn’t have anything without some sort of posi. Granted, while I agree that if you horse your vehicle around in inclement weather; bad things can and will happen, if you drive with some constraint you will appreciate the extra traction when it becomes necessary. I also realize that down here, there are not many occasions that you will be going through the extremes of engine braking off the side of a mountain in a blizzard of sorts. When hitting slick spots (ice), an open differential tends to cause the vehicle to jerk side to side. To me, the only answer is to learn how hard or little you can push your vehicle in bad weather and enjoy the extra traction a posi will afford you.
+1 These are my sentiments also, I prefer the added traction of a posi in inclement weather, whether it be rain, snow, ice, etc. I've always been able to maintain a straight line better with some form of posi in the rear, as well as have a better feeling of control over the vehicle in general (may be a false sense of security though....)
Old 02-28-2010, 10:12 PM
LS ADDICT/BUILDER

dont get me wrong I love my Auburn posi but, it went out at SAR last Saturday and I think it will cost more in the long run do to buying a rebuild kits than buying a true trac
Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by budhayes3
+1 These are my sentiments also, I prefer the added traction of a posi in inclement weather, whether it be rain, snow, ice, etc. I've always been able to maintain a straight line better with some form of posi in the rear, as well as have a better feeling of control over the vehicle in general (may be a false sense of security though....)
See that's what I'm saying as well. That peg-leg rear in the S-10 was scary as hell in the rain. It was like being in a small rat-trap anytime in the rain. I've not driven something with oodles of power on 4-wheels, but when the G80 kicks in it's nice and predictable, which is the exact opposite of how the s-10 would react.

On the motorcycle when powering out of a corner, if it loses traction for a bit its usually not that big of a deal cause I know how its gonna act. Just slide for a bit and hook back up. That's how my truck needs to be all the time once I get this damn G80 outta here.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heavy chevy boy
from what i hear a locker is good for weekend drivers, and tru-trac is the most street friendly.
Truetrac or Eaton LSD for my street / strip goals. I'm 99% wanting to go Truetrac, but I've never driven an Eaton LSD to compare the 2. From what a rearend place told me, Truetrac fits needs of 99% of people.
What if I'm the 1%?

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
my tru-trac works in the rain...but in a perfect world, you dont want it to work in the rain. 1 tire fire is safest in the rain

in the rain, you are more likely to lose control with a posi than a peg leg. the 1 tire thats not on fire is the one that keeps you going straight for the most part. with a posi, both tires spin and the rear end does pretty much whatever it wants
Stew, I hope for when the snow, ice & a mix of the 2 are on ground, I have no worries. And I hate driving in rain too.
I was told w/. a stall, under inclement conditions, ya gotta learn to re-drive your vehicle.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Stew, I hope for when the snow, ice & a mix of the 2 are on ground, I have no worries. And I hate driving in rain too.
I was told w/. a stall, under inclement conditions, ya gotta learn to re-drive your vehicle.
Yessir you do, but just like anything, once you get used to it, it's second nature. Just take it easy on the throttle until you get a feel for it.

BTW, I had a Detroit Locker and a 3k stall in my 71 Camaro and loved it...until I had to make a turn lol...chirp chirp chirp chirp

This car totally sucked in the rain...had bias ply Pro-Trac N-50's in the rear on 15x10 Cragar SST's...they were like big water ski's

(showing my age with the bias ply Pro-Trac reference...they were the hot rodder tire of choice back in the day )
Old 04-23-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
(showing my age with the bias ply Pro-Trac reference...they were the hot rodder tire of choice back in the day )
I believe you can still get a set through Coker Tire, if you just feel the need to re-live your younger years...........LOL
Old 04-23-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You could sit here and argue all day (and people have) with truetrac vs. eaton lsd, bottom line is you'll never exceed the limits of either.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
You could sit here and argue all day (and people have) with truetrac vs. eaton lsd, bottom line is you'll never exceed the limits of either.
You might not.

Says this guy.

And yes, 1 Bear, Billy is older than most of us.

Quick Reply: true trac or detroit locker?