Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

truck won't 60ft to save its life

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
That combo should run 10's.
Thats a big expectation.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know when you guys log his truck. I want to go for a ride in it.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you go ripping that converter out, you really need to datalog some runs from a dig, gotta know what the truck is doing to know what the truck needs. Also know what afr is down in the lower rpm's. I think it's more than a converter issue, FTI builds really good converters. My 3200 FTI converter cut a 1.5 60' in an ecsb truck.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:36 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinF56
Let me know when you guys log his truck. I want to go for a ride in it.
Yea we will!

Originally Posted by Blown06
That combo should run 10's.
It will... we still havent logged it and it was his first time out.

His truck makes boost very late in the rev range and something seems to be stopping it from revving as far as it should with that cam IMO. Its almost as though there is a restriction on the top end that makes boost spike... but as we all know boost is purely a measure of restriction. I know centrifigul blower make more boost on the top end, but most I see build at a flat rate, his builds like this as opposed to a steady increase:

Small changes with the parts he already has will get him in the 10's. Unfortunately with his compression where it is I think he really needs meth to push the envelope with timing, boost etc... but once he does it will be a different machine all together. lets not forget this run was done at the end of June... DA I'm sure wasnt bad, but he will see nearly 2500 feet less this fall.

Last edited by Vortec350ss; 07-01-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:49 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 203 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
but as we all know boost is purely a measure of restriction.
Should just get rid of the boost so there will be less restriction.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Yea we will!

It will... we still havent logged it and it was his first time out.

His truck makes boost very late in the rev range and something seems to be stopping it from revving as far as it should with that cam IMO. Its almost as though there is a restriction on the top end that makes boost spike... but as we all know boost is purely a measure of restriction. I know centrifigul blower make more boost on the top end, but most I see build at a flat rate, his builds like this as opposed to a steady increase:

Small changes with the parts he already has will get him in the 10's. Unfortunately with his compression where it is I think he really needs meth to push the envelope with timing, boost etc... but once he does it will be a different machine all together. lets not forget this run was done at the end of June... DA I'm sure wasnt bad, but he will see nearly 2500 feet less this fall.
When you datalog his run, if the timing stays flat across the board and doesn't start out higher at low rpm and timing doesn't drop as boost increases, it needs more timing down low. If that's the case the truck won't be making much boost and has no timing at low rpm's and it will not make power. Yes adding meth you'll be able to raise your overall timing. But that's not really the case down low, the motor is as low boost and can tolerate more timing.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Yea I agree with all that. I would think with the reputation his tuner has he would have that figured out, but I will definitely be on the lookout.

My meth comment is to say that he can pulley down to make more boost sooner, while maintaining more timing. It should fatten up his mid range a lot.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not saying he's a bad tuner. I worked in a dyno shop for 5 years and tuned alot of vehicles, I've seen alot of tunes. I've seen that done alot where people would set the timing at a certain setting across the board at wot. You'd be surprised at the stuff you'd see from small time tuners to big name shops. The absolute worst tune I've ever seen came from katech.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:59 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When customers ask for "safe" tunes, that's what they get. A "safe" tune is not aggressive, and won't 60 ft well. You have to make a ton of tq down low to get the truck off the line hard, and that requires aggressive tuning & taking some chances.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

And he could possibly have added more timing down low, but depending on the dyno he used, it could have more of a load being on the road vs the dyno and could be getting some knock and pulling timing? Just another idea. But the datalog will tell ya what it's doin

Quick Reply: truck won't 60ft to save its life