Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transmission question/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission question/opinions

So last night I was doing some off roading, which my truck got stuck a couple times, and in trying to get out (what I believe to be the transmission) started to stink. Anyway, this leads me to believe I need to build it up (if the 4l60e is worth building?). I see info about corvette servos, transgo hd kits, 3000/3200 stall... A lot of info to absorb. Anyways, I'm just going to take the truck in for the modification, with parts, and tell them to put them in. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what exactly I need and what company to search out. Transgo is simple enough. Corvette servos the shop can handle. But what else? Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by —Bauker™—
So last night I was doing some off roading, which my truck got stuck a couple times, and in trying to get out (what I believe to be the transmission) started to stink. Anyway, this leads me to believe I need to build it up (if the 4l60e is worth building?). I see info about corvette servos, transgo hd kits, 3000/3200 stall... A lot of info to absorb. Anyways, I'm just going to take the truck in for the modification, with parts, and tell them to put them in. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what exactly I need and what company to search out. Transgo is simple enough. Corvette servos the shop can handle. But what else? Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.
Change the fluid asap. Flush or change it 2-3 times with a few miles in between to get it all out. If you didn't burn up your frictions, I would suggest Transgo HD and vette servo. If you can afford it, a new converter would help with power but I don't know about longevity. I seem to beat my truck more and more since the upgrades If you're not planning big power, the 4l60e can work well. You can also take the hard parts route and make your 60 a 65 but adding anything but the above requires tearing apart the trans. The shift kit and servo are relatively simple compared to replacing hard parts. If you've burned up your frictions, they'll have to tear it apart so you may want to consider hard parts depending on your power plans.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were in something deep and were gassing it just enough to crawl you may have just overheated the torque converter. Whenever you have sustained periods of increased RPM while in gear with very little forward movement, all that power the engine is making that is NOT moving the truck forward is being turned into heat by the fluid in the torque converter spinning violently around while multiplying that torque. The fluid doesn't flow fast enough to tollerate that for long, it will overheat and boil as it probably did.

Two things, if you're crawling along in mud or up hills or whatever, the transfer case should be in low. This gives the transmission a mechanical gearing advantage to push it forward with minimal heat.
If you do this sort of thing very often or you tow loads close to the limits with this truck absolutely DO NOT increase the stall speed of the torque converter. That will just make even more heat. Keep in mind - the more the difference is between the engine RPM and the transmission input shaft RPM (torque converter stall) the more heat will be made.