Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transgo Shift Firmness...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I go to my transmission guy (who has been in business for years, and is familiar with Transgo and their products) to have him install the internal retainer springs and intermediate snap ring (because I dont feel like monkey footing around with the internals). He seems annoyed by the fact that I bought this kit saying by turning up the pressure on the back of the PCS solenoid via an adjustment on the rear of the solenoid you can accomplish firmer shifts instead of drilling into the valve body?

Said solenoid!
Name:  null_zps9ffc2373.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  9.8 KB

I am no transmission guy but I thought this kit was used for helping not only the shifts but HP levels as well (after telling him I'm looking for a stronger tranny not one that chirps in every gear by which he was even more annoyed) apparently no one likes making extra $$$? I think he is missing something! If it is true that turning up the pressure will help shifts then what is the reason behind half of this kit?

Last edited by Hivelocit; 08-10-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Corrected the image.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turning up the pressure doesn't get it through those little bitty holes any faster. It just squeezes harder.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
Turning up the pressure doesn't get it through those little bitty holes any faster. It just squeezes harder.
True!
Old 08-10-2013, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a TCC solenoid pictured above not a PCS. If adjusting the PCS with this kit I would not recommend raising pressure above 200psi. Keep in mind that you are already raising pressure by installing the pressure regulator spring. The issue with just cranking up the PCS is that the engagements going into gear from a stand still will be very firm. Just some food for thought.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vince B
Thats a TCC solenoid pictured above not a PCS. If adjusting the PCS with this kit I would not recommend raising pressure above 200psi. Keep in mind that you are already raising pressure by installing the pressure regulator spring. The issue with just cranking up the PCS is that the engagements going into gear from a stand still will be very firm. Just some food for thought.
Oops thanks, corrected the image...
Is upping the pressure (manually on the back of the solenoid) on the PCS a used method for firmer shifts? Without the kit just by itself if course. I never heard of it before till going into my transmission shop.