Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

transgo help asap plz!!!!!1

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transgo help asap plz!!!!!1

well i bought a transgo shift kit for my truck and i know this guy that use to work on transmisions for awhile -not sure how long but the dude knows his ****- any ways he said he would help me install my tci tq converter but not the shift kit b/c it involves drilling and is to complicated to do etc. so...... has anyone done this instal them selves? he told me to take it to a shop to have it done but said expect to pay north of a G!!!! i would prefer to do the install my self just for the fact i like to do things my self... but if it is to complex for a rookie mechanic guess i would have to take it to an expert... yes i know this is my drivetrain and i cant jac it up so i need advice asap plz!!! thank you in adv
Old 01-03-2006, 08:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not hard at all. You do have to "enlarge a few holes in the seperator plate but they even supply the right size drill bits. Other than that it is pretty much just changing parts out in the valve body. Really straight foward. Their instructions are very detailed and they show nice illustrations.
I would recommend that you get:
1. Transgo seperator plate (about $20) (harder material than the stock one and the stock ones have been known to wear and the check ***** can stick in them).
2. Aluminum 1-2 accumulator piston (costs like $3) (the stock one is plastic and can crack with the stiffer transgo springs).
3. New seperator plate screens. (they can be obtained from the dealer pretty cheap)
4. Some transgel (to hold the spring in place on the inside of one of the seperator plate screens).
5. A LOT of shop rags and carb. cleaner
6. Vette 1-2 servo

I have personally installed the Transgo HD-2, vette servo, and a TCI 3000 converter at the same time and I can say that it is not hard work, just messy and a little time comsuming. Just make sure to thouroughly clean everything and pay attention to what you are doing, and follow the instructions.

The setup I used on the install I did was:
2 washers in 1-2 accum housing
Aluminum 1-2 accumulator piston
1-2 hole in plate drilled to .082
2-3 hole in plate drilled to .093
Drilled 2 1/16th holes in top of EPC screen
Drilled all other holes that transgo said to drill to .093
Old 01-03-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rhino79
the only thing i am worried about is drilling the holes -too big- would you say this instal would be easy for a weekend driveway project??? if you could plz tell me where i could get the parts you listed that would be great thanks!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:26 PM
9 Second Club

Defenitly a weekend project, I did the converter, servo, and transgo in one day. Oregon performance transmission has an online store at E-bay. They have good prices and should have everything in stock. I would get the screens for the sep. plate from the dealer, they are only like $5.00 a piece. The bigger the stall you run the more it will soften the shift, thats why I set up the one I did like I did. The hole sizes are listed in the instructions and they include the 2 bits, I was just giving you the setup I used. If you use their drill bits you will be fine.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks alot for the help!!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

is the piston in the accumulator plastic in the 80e also?
Old 01-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Launching!

where can i get the accumulator valve. And all other parts involved.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rhino79

I have personally installed the Transgo HD-2, vette servo, and a TCI 3000 converter at the same time and I can say that it is not hard work, just messy and a little time comsuming. Just make sure to thouroughly clean everything and pay attention to what you are doing, and follow the instructions.

The setup I used on the install I did was:
2 washers in 1-2 accum housing
Aluminum 1-2 accumulator piston
1-2 hole in plate drilled to .082
2-3 hole in plate drilled to .093
Drilled 2 1/16th holes in top of EPC screen
Drilled all other holes that transgo said to drill to .093
Would you recommend that same setup for me. I'm having a TB converter installed at the same time. I like my shifts pretty firm at say half throttle and above but I don't want it jerking my passengers neck when I easy away from a stop sign.

Thanks for any input
Old 01-04-2006, 09:14 PM
9 Second Club

Go the same except only use one washer in the accumulator.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Go the same except only use one washer in the accumulator.
OK, that's actually what I was planning on doing. Are you saying that because your is a little too firm or because my converter isn't as loose as yours? Just for my info.

Quick Reply: transgo help asap plz!!!!!1