Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transfer Case Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Noise

Well after fixing my past issue with my front drive shaft *the yoke was fucked* I've been noticing that once the truck is warmed up and i shift it into Reverse I get a nice knock/clank inside the transfer case. Anyone else have any issues like this? I'm starting to wonder if my transfer case is just ready to take a ****.

J
Old 06-03-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by w41quad4
Well after fixing my past issue with my front drive shaft *the yoke was fucked* I've been noticing that once the truck is warmed up and i shift it into Reverse I get a nice knock/clank inside the transfer case. Anyone else have any issues like this? I'm starting to wonder if my transfer case is just ready to take a ****.

J
I have been wondering the same about mine. It got worse when I had the tranny rebuild along with a transgo. Now it even clunks when shifting gears sometimes. I have been assuming it was the slip yoke. I have new universals in back and was going to replace the front universals and see if that helped at all.

I don't want to know what a Tcase costs.

Then again, it seems that my whole drivetrain is taking a beating since the rebuild and new stall Sure is more fun to drive though!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

I have a new Nickeplated Slip yoke & new universal joints, while this has quieted some of the noise i still get a noise that seems to be coming from inside the transfer case. I noticed this while being under the truck and having a friend shift into reverse and it sure is inside the case.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by w41quad4
I have a new Nickeplated Slip yoke & new universal joints, while this has quieted some of the noise i still get a noise that seems to be coming from inside the transfer case. I noticed this while being under the truck and having a friend shift into reverse and it sure is inside the case.
Just in "case", your case is bad...I have 2 NP246's (one rebuilt and one new150miles)...or I don't think any of the sponsors here sell transfer cases you can go to Transfer Case Express. I know sounds cheesy, but they are pretty good and unbelievably freaking cheap. Consider going to the "squealer" and paying 2500 bones or sending yours to TCE and getting a new one for 750 bucks.
These transfers cases are pretty damn tough...the chances of them being bad are pretty slim. UNLESS like your self you had that slip yoke just "maw" the hell out of the interenals. Parish8 is throwing hellof power at them. If you have the push button auto and 4hi don't forget the expensive blue fluid when filling back up.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:10 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bish
I have been wondering the same about mine. It got worse when I had the tranny rebuild along with a transgo. Now it even clunks when shifting gears sometimes. I have been assuming it was the slip yoke. I have new universals in back and was going to replace the front universals and see if that helped at all.

I don't want to know what a Tcase costs.

Then again, it seems that my whole drivetrain is taking a beating since the rebuild and new stall Sure is more fun to drive though!

I was told the only thing to go out in our transfercase is the chain and a sealed bearing behind the "torque biasing wet clutch". maybe you chains are about to go??? how many miles on your trucks??