Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

transfer case fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lots of detail . . . thanks for posting. Makes me want to crack mine open and look
Old 10-20-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

I would recommend an anaerobic gasket maker like loctite 518 or 515 (or similar permatex product) instead of silicone RTV for sealing the flanges. The anaerobic gasket maker cures in the absence of air, so it will only cure where the flanges are. What squishes out into the oil will stay liquid and won't be as likely to clog the screen like RTV chunks would.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadrider12
I would recommend an anaerobic gasket maker like loctite 518 or 515 (or similar permatex product) instead of silicone RTV for sealing the flanges. The anaerobic gasket maker cures in the absence of air, so it will only cure where the flanges are. What squishes out into the oil will stay liquid and won't be as likely to clog the screen like RTV chunks would.
I've read that the factory sealed the case with an "anaerobic sealer" like you mention. This may or may not be accurate, but if it is, a fat lot of good it did.

This permatex ultra black is what I use on many of the engine components I build with. I've taken them back apart after several years and always found it intact. It's pretty sturdy stuff and doesn't soften with exposure to oil or heat. In fact the **** is so strong it is very difficult to get off an oil pan etc. that has been sealed with it. I think I will be fine...I used it very sparingly. What you see in that pic is a finger's smudge, just enough thickness to cover the aluminum, like 1/32" thick. There is only a tiny amount of squeeze out on the outside edge...and if you notice I tried not to put any within the last 1mm of space on the inside for that very reason.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice write-up!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RotaryResurrection
I've read that the factory sealed the case with an "anaerobic sealer" like you mention. This may or may not be accurate, but if it is, a fat lot of good it did.

This permatex ultra black is what I use on many of the engine components I build with. I've taken them back apart after several years and always found it intact. It's pretty sturdy stuff and doesn't soften with exposure to oil or heat. In fact the **** is so strong it is very difficult to get off an oil pan etc. that has been sealed with it. I think I will be fine...I used it very sparingly. What you see in that pic is a finger's smudge, just enough thickness to cover the aluminum, like 1/32" thick. There is only a tiny amount of squeeze out on the outside edge...and if you notice I tried not to put any within the last 1mm of space on the inside for that very reason.
yep RTV would probably be just fine. Just use it sparingly. Most people get too carried away with any type of sealant. You however did a good job of not using too much.

I know from my experience with my KTM and from some reading on KTMTalk that RTV sealant destroys ktm motors, RTV oozing out into the motor seems to be enough to cake up the oil pickups and starve the motor. With the loctite 518 it doesn't seem to be a problem so That is what I tend to use now.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadrider12
With the loctite 518 it doesn't seem to be a problem so That is what I tend to use now.
That's what I use for projects such as these, that or one of the Yamabond line-up, such as the no. 4 or 5 depending on the task or clearances.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/ap.../1/detail.aspx
Old 10-21-2010, 11:56 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

I went to the dealership and said "give me the stuff you use to seal the AutoTrak transfercase with, and this is what they gave me:

GM Gasket Maker PN 1052943...the **** was really expensive though, over 20 bux IIRC

Name:  100_0627.jpg
Views: 3916
Size:  125.1 KB

Here's a pic of the revised Tcase pump clip:
Name:  100_0624.jpg
Views: 3425
Size:  86.2 KB

Some of the sealer that I found clogging my tcase pump pickup:
Name:  100_0625.jpg
Views: 3409
Size:  86.0 KB

More pics and info here:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...+Level7&page=3
Old 10-21-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

^That looks the exact same color and consistency as loctite 518
Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome Write-up! I had often wondered if anyone had pulled a 149 apart before..
Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Here's a pic of the revised Tcase pump clip:

Do you trust that that little clip will actually stop the pump from cutting the case?

Quick Reply: transfer case fluid