PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Trans temp question.......... (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/trans-temp-question-370558/)

RoninsDenali 07-24-2006 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by trever1t
Not to hijack but where is the sensor for the cluster tranny temp gauge?

The sensor is located on the Transmission Fluid Range Switch (valve body). And reports trans temp to the PCM regardless of whether you have a Temp Guage on your cluster or not.

Also, something to note, the thermistor faces downward and is directly exposed to the fluid in the pan.

closet red neck 07-24-2006 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by RoninsDenali
Sorry guess i should have been more clear. The plug that you are putting the temperature sender in is a diagnostic pressure tap. Why i mention that it might not be the most accurate is that transmission fluid is that there is no fluid flow around that plug. Its a dead end.

Placing the sender in the pan, allows the temperature of the circulating fluid to be measured. Fluid come from the transmission cooler goes straight to the lubrication, and consequently cooling then goes right to the pan.

As for fitting it into the pan, i cant see how it would be easy with the stock pan as its thin. Now my TCI deep pan actually has a sender hole pre-tapped.

Read my sig.....I have a deep pan installed. So I can tap into into the side of it for a sender. I was just trying to figure out what you were tring to say when you mentioned the exhaut, piston.......this has nothing to do with the trans temp.....

James

RoninsDenali 07-24-2006 09:43 PM

There are nearly two dozen fluid exhaust ports in the 4L60 trans, all of which dump the fluid right into the pan.

And each clutch pack itself has a corresponding apply piston. Just because i'm using those words doesnt mean that i'm refering to the engine exhaust or pistons.

closet red neck 07-24-2006 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by RoninsDenali
There are nearly two dozen fluid exhaust ports in the 4L60 trans, all of which dump the fluid right into the pan.

And each clutch pack itself has a corresponding apply piston. Just because i'm using those words doesnt mean that i'm refering to the engine exhaust or pistons.

K.............

1ImperialSS 07-25-2006 01:16 AM

i bought a remote fluid filter with auxillary port and put the sneding unit in there so it reads the exiting temperature of the fluid. hits 200 on hot days. once it hits lock up easily falls to 165. one reason the pressure port may read higher is because heat rises? hotter fluid on top of the cooler fluid.

ThunderZ28 07-29-2006 02:28 AM

ok..
I did a little research today, and hooked up my laptop to the PCM, and did some data logging..

I have my sending unit screwed into the port right above the shift linkage...
My temp guage showed to be at about 175* in stop-n-go traffic tonight on I-10..
looked over at Autotap, and the PCM showed it to be a few degrees off and a bit higher at 178*.
at no time during my drive this evening did the trans temp vary more than 3 degrees from the PCM..
Thats about as accurate a reading as your going to get..