Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Trans temp question..........

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trans temp question..........

How accurate is the trans fluid temprature using the plug on the 4L60E??? The plug that everybody uses..........it's towards the top and roughly in the middle of the trans from front to back. I've heard that it isn't that accurate. I've heard that if you put a sender in the trans pan and one in the plug hole(as discribed as above), that the one in the plug will read higher than the one in the trans pan.....Is this true or have any of ya'll experienced this or performed any factual data by testing this theroy???

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

James
Old 07-24-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

My thoughts on this that the plug on the side of the trans is a pressure tap port. Since its plugged, fluid flow is a minimum and is seeing higher temperatures from heatsoak from the fluid and case itself.

Now a temp sender unit in the pan will show the temperature of the circulating fluid of the transmission. As all the lube fluid, valve exhausts, and piston exhausts all end up in the pan.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a bigger cooler and run the other two in series and be done with it somethings not right with the converter for it to be as hot as you are telling me mine never acted like yours is
Old 07-24-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm using the plug on the side of the 4L60E to monitor my trans temp. I know it's not accurate but at least it gives me an approximate temp. I've seen it up as high as 180* on hot summer days and barely even move on cold winter nights.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RoninsDenali
My thoughts on this that the plug on the side of the trans is a pressure tap port. Since its plugged, fluid flow is a minimum and is seeing higher temperatures from heatsoak from the fluid and case itself.

Now a temp sender unit in the pan will show the temperature of the circulating fluid of the transmission. As all the lube fluid, valve exhausts, and piston exhausts all end up in the pan.
What are you talking about??? I'm talking about the trans temp on the trans fluid. Where is the best place to put the sender for an accurate temprature for the trans fluid?

James
Old 07-24-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
get a bigger cooler and run the other two in series and be done with it somethings not right with the converter for it to be as hot as you are telling me mine never acted like yours is
Hey, I now have more cooling than you do!!!! The temps are about 180º to 200º @ night but in the day time they will climb somewhat.......I talked to John and he said that putting a sender in the plug isn't an accurate reading. Now that being said.....I was just trying to figure out where to put the sender and if anyone has a good suggestion.........I will probably put the sender in the side of the pan towards the top and in the center.

Thank you gentlemen for all of ya'lls input!!!!!

James
Old 07-24-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine in the pressure port. I now have mine in the pan. I saw no differences in temp between the two.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
I had mine in the pressure port. I now have mine in the pan. I saw no differences in temp between the two.
Thank you sirrrr!!!! This is what I was looking for!! Now, have any other people out there had any other issues with the "pressure plug" reading differently??? I was just simply trying to verify what John was saying.

James

Last edited by closet red neck; 07-24-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:32 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack but where is the sensor for the cluster tranny temp gauge?
Old 07-24-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by closet red neck
What are you talking about??? I'm talking about the trans temp on the trans fluid. Where is the best place to put the sender for an accurate temprature for the trans fluid?

James
Sorry guess i should have been more clear. The plug that you are putting the temperature sender in is a diagnostic pressure tap. Why i mention that it might not be the most accurate is that transmission fluid is that there is no fluid flow around that plug. Its a dead end.

Placing the sender in the pan, allows the temperature of the circulating fluid to be measured. Fluid coming from the transmission cooler goes straight to the lubrication, and consequently cooling then goes right to the pan.

As for fitting it into the pan, i cant see how it would be easy with the stock pan as its thin. Now my TCI deep pan actually has a sender hole pre-tapped.

Last edited by RoninsDenali; 07-24-2006 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Grammer/Spelling correction

Quick Reply: Trans temp question..........