Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tranny work - Day 1 (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 11:02 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny work - Day 1 (long)

So, vanillagorilla (todd), shows upto my house at 1030 sharp. we leave for Autozone for fluids and extra TC bolts. we head to base where i grab some BK and go to the auto shop.

all the lifts are full except for the ones to change oil on, so since i had to do that anyway, i do it. then we go over to my work where i show Todd an opened up A-10 thats in a hangar.

we head back to the auto shop, where we wait probably for another 45 minutes. finally a lift opens up and we get to work.

everything was going good first off until i try to remove the starter. WELL, my dumbass didnt disconnect the battery, and ended up touching the starter to the tranny coolant lines that run next to it. It looked like the 4th of july under my truck, and the next thing i knew, there was fluid running all over the place. after some few choice words, we lower the truck and disconnect the battery.

i call up one of my buddies to borrow his car to go get a new cooler line, which cost 30.65 at the dealer, head back to base and get to work.

we drop the tranny, i get the cooler line in, and THEN the trouble starts.

we have the billet servos out and trying to figure out how the heck the spring between the 2-3 accumulators and 4th is supposed to work... HELP!!!

so I decide to just follow how the picture works and we get the servos to hold in the tranny, we throw the TC in (yes its seated) and start installing the tranny.

well we put the bell housing bolts in and get about 2 shy of being complete when i start turning the crank and find that it doesnt move. thinking the TC isnt seated, we remove the tranny. to find that is infact seated.

so now, my truck is sitting all apart in the auto shop, which doesnt open until 0830 tomorrow.

but on a good note, my rims arrived today!!! Bonspeed Intense 6, 20x8.5 and 20x10
Old 05-26-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

I have a feeling I'm going to be losing sleep over this one!

The problem with the billet servos is this:

The 4th gear servo comes with a new shiny billet cover, inside of this is the 4th gear piston. Check.
Here's the tricky part, there's a series of a spring, washer and e-clip. According to the shitty instructions the spring is supposed to seat against the 2nd gear assm. and then the washer and then the e-clip.

Well there's no way in hell the new spring or the stock spring and washer can fit in between the 2nd gear assem. and the groove for the e-clip. The coils bind before there's even room to get the e-clip on. WTF?!?

Is this spring even necessary, because it sure as hell doesn't look like it belongs there to me.

Bryce, I'm bringing my calipers tomorrow to see if its the bur on the nose on the verter. I hope its not.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious about the outcome because I am doing the very same thing here shortly...
Old 05-26-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Just be glad you have a lift I've done a few swaps on the ground and it's hell.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:37 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by redaddiction
Just be glad you have a lift I've done a few swaps on the ground and it's hell.

todd is lucky hes shorter than me... im slouching and hes standing almost all the way up! lol.

hes got the good little wrench hands too!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:38 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Bryce, I'm bringing my calipers tomorrow to see if its the bur on the nose on the verter. I hope its not.

i need to remember to bring a jug of water for us, so we dont have to rely on the water fountain that deosnt work!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Carny hands, smell like cabage.

The 2ft tranny jack helps, but it could be better.

The water you poured from the heat exchanger was killing me!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:01 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla

The water you poured from the heat exchanger was killing me!!!

ya, that was an oops!!! heheh... so you want a case of beer for this or somethin?
Old 05-26-2005, 07:00 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take some sanpaper and sand down the "nose" of the tc. That was one of the problems that I had. You will probably have to sand all the paint off of it so it will fit. I know you would think this is a given but while you are sanding it test fit it before seating it in the tranny and hoisting it up there. I have seen some morons do that before. Goodluck.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Take some sanpaper and sand down the "nose" of the tc. That was one of the problems that I had. You will probably have to sand all the paint off of it so it will fit. I know you would think this is a given but while you are sanding it test fit it before seating it in the tranny and hoisting it up there. I have seen some morons do that before. Goodluck.
Good suggestion on the sandpaper. I had the same problem twice. The first time, the paint made it too tight and the flywheel would not move. The second time, the torque converter was not on all the way and it would not spin freely. Pulled again and got the TC on correctly and it slid right on and spun freely before I put the TC blts in.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Tranny work - Day 1 (long)