Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tranny upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny upgrade questions

I just received a bunch of parts that I am going to install in my tranny in the near future. They are as follows:

Aluminum Accumulator Piston
Billet O/D Servo
Corvette Servo w/Longer Pin
Forward Clutch Aluminum Piston
Hughes Deep Aluminum Pan
Servo Release Check Valve
TransGo HD2 Shift Kit
TransGo Seperator Plate

I am going to drill all holes in the shift kit per the instructions that come with the shift kit and install 1 spacer in the 2nd Accumulator. However, since I am installing the Sonnax Servo Release "Check Valve", should I drill the "#24" (2-3 shift hole) out per the instructions that come with the Sonnax valve? The Sonnax instructions says to drill the 2-3 shift hole to 0.090" for Light Duty, 0.100" for Regular Duty, 0.115" for Heavy Duty, or 0.130" for Performance. The TransGo instructions state to drill the 2-3 shift hole to 0.093" for normal installation or 0.101" for Hi-Stall Converter or Full Race?

I do plan as my next mod to install a 2600 or 3000 rpm stall converter. Since I can add 1 spacer in the 2nd Accumulator anytime I do a filter change I can do that no problem once the converter gets installed. However, since the shift kit calls for larger holes on both the 1-2 shift hole (0.082" for normal installation or 0.093" for full race and Hi-Stall Converter) and the 2-3 Shift hole, should I just do this now and deal with the firmer shift?

Lastly, the shift kit I purchased came with a "Hi-Rev kit". If I am not mistaken this cannot be installed without the transmission actually apart correct? If I am wrong how easy and how benefitial is it? Also, in the TransGo Instructions, it says to install some "orfice cup plugs" in the reverse input piston, can this be done or does the transmission have to be apart as well and how benefitial? Thanks for all your help! It is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-23-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cakes
I just received a bunch of parts that I am going to install in my tranny in the near future. They are as follows:

Aluminum Accumulator Piston
Billet O/D Servo
Corvette Servo w/Longer Pin
Forward Clutch Aluminum Piston
Hughes Deep Aluminum Pan
Servo Release Check Valve
TransGo HD2 Shift Kit
TransGo Seperator Plate
Nice list of parts there!

I am going to drill all holes in the shift kit per the instructions that come with the shift kit and install 1 spacer in the 2nd Accumulator. However, since I am installing the Sonnax Servo Release "Check Valve", should I drill the "#24" (2-3 shift hole) out per the instructions that come with the Sonnax valve? The Sonnax instructions says to drill the 2-3 shift hole to 0.090" for Light Duty, 0.100" for Regular Duty, 0.115" for Heavy Duty, or 0.130" for Performance. The TransGo instructions state to drill the 2-3 shift hole to 0.093" for normal installation or 0.101" for Hi-Stall Converter or Full Race?
drill out the check valve to 1/8" or .0125" with the vette servo
On the plate, the larger you go, the stiffer the shift. Generally speaking a larger stall will soften things up hence going to a larger hole. I have a stock stall and did only the .093" hole per Transgo. I think the Sonnax manuals are on the conservative side a tad. (I wish I knew that before hand, since I'm a wuss)

I do plan as my next mod to install a 2600 or 3000 rpm stall converter. Since I can add 1 spacer in the 2nd Accumulator anytime I do a filter change I can do that no problem once the converter gets installed. However, since the shift kit calls for larger holes on both the 1-2 shift hole (0.082" for normal installation or 0.093" for full race and Hi-Stall Converter) and the 2-3 Shift hole, should I just do this now and deal with the firmer shift?
I'd say no spacers with all of your parts listed. Your choice on the firmer shift or not, like I mentioned above, I'm a wuss and went small.

Lastly, the shift kit I purchased came with a "Hi-Rev kit". If I am not mistaken this cannot be installed without the transmission actually apart correct? If I am wrong how easy and how benefitial is it? Also, in the TransGo Instructions, it says to install some "orfice cup plugs" in the reverse input piston, can this be done or does the transmission have to be apart as well and how benefitial? Thanks for all your help! It is greatly appreciated!
You are correct in that you have to have the tranny apart for these items
Old 06-23-2005, 09:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the same stuff on The Wood Haulers truck and we drilled all holes in the plate for high stall. He has a TCI 3000 converter and we used 2 shims in the accumulator and it freakin rocks! The high rev kit installs only during an overhaul not with it in the vehicle. I would deal with the firmer shift now but thats just my opinion.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

unredeemed, I assume you have the Sonnax Check Valve as well? You left the 2-3 shift hole, which Sonnax suggest gets drilled even larger than what TransGo suggests, at 0.093"? I am the type of person that likes to do things once but I do not really want driving the truck to be a pain. I am definately going to drill the orfice in the valve to 0.120"-0.125" but I am still debating on the 1-2 shift hole as well as the 2-3 shift hole....I was thinking of maybe drilling the 1-2 shift hole to 0.093" (Full Race/Hi-Stall) and drilling the 2-3 shift hole to 0.115" (Heavy Duty per Sonnax) and not using any spacers in the 2nd Accumulator until the converter gets installed. Good? Bad? Indifferent?
Old 06-23-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TG vaccum modulator kit!!!! Dont forget the best part!!

On a side not, use no washers.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cakes
unredeemed, I assume you have the Sonnax Check Valve as well? You left the 2-3 shift hole, which Sonnax suggest gets drilled even larger than what TransGo suggests, at 0.093"? I am the type of person that likes to do things once but I do not really want driving the truck to be a pain. I am definately going to drill the orfice in the valve to 0.120"-0.125" but I am still debating on the 1-2 shift hole as well as the 2-3 shift hole....I was thinking of maybe drilling the 1-2 shift hole to 0.093" (Full Race/Hi-Stall) and drilling the 2-3 shift hole to 0.115" (Heavy Duty per Sonnax) and not using any spacers in the 2nd Accumulator until the converter gets installed. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

As it stands today with stock line pressure and no TQ MGMT, I have all of the upgrades you have (minue the pan) and do not plan on getting a TC

The 1-2 is is firm and solid, not harsh or "banging."

The 2-3 is also firm, and at times perhaps more then I would like. I think this is due to warmer days where the fluid is thinner? But ideal in most cases IMO. It's a good thing that I didn't go with a larger hole

The 3-2 kick down and the 2-1 kick down are just the way it should be, almost feeling like a manual downshift from a 5spd.

While you are going to have a stall which will soften the harshness of drilling larger holes, I do not suggest both larger holes and shims. Thats a good way to break things IMO . The only time I would even consider that is with a built tranny.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cakes - good preparation for your install. You're doing it right by making all the decisions beforehand.

Originally Posted by unredeemed
As it stands today with stock line pressure and no TQ MGMT, I have all of the upgrades you have (minue the pan) and do not plan on getting a TC

The 1-2 is is firm and solid, not harsh or "banging."

The 2-3 is also firm, and at times perhaps more then I would like. I think this is due to warmer days where the fluid is thinner? But ideal in most cases IMO. It's a good thing that I didn't go with a larger hole

The 3-2 kick down and the 2-1 kick down are just the way it should be, almost feeling like a manual downshift from a 5spd.

While you are going to have a stall which will soften the harshness of drilling larger holes, I do not suggest both larger holes and shims. Thats a good way to break things IMO . The only time I would even consider that is with a built tranny.
I have to come over sometime for a ride in your truck. I want to see how it behaves now that the kit has had time to 'settle in'. Now that you've driven it for a while, is there anything you would have done differently?