Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tranny Help! Again!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Help! Again!

I have a 4L65E in an 2002 GMC Sierra Denali. It is AWD. It has LT headers and a moderate cam. Basically stock motor everywhere else. NO forced induction NO nitrous ever.
I have had the trans built 3 times and it has failed each time. I have a yank TT3000, superior shiftkit, beast shell, wide bands, a hardened input shaft, corvette servo, 30K GVW cooler, ect.
What is the problem? What trans or other would you recommend? I have seen much more truck running reliably on the same or less transmission.

Extended interstate drives (4-8 hours) happen on occasion and have been where I have seen the failures. Transmission temps remained at ~180*F.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kinda failure are you seeing? Burnt clutches or total failures with complete loss?

Give performabuilt ot FLT a call, they will hook u up right.

Truck is tuned I'm guessing?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

i dont think local shops can build a 4l65e muchless a 4l60e like performabuilt or flt, i went through 3 shops before i said fug it time to spend the dollars and get it done right!!

i personally dont think they can do the machining to help fluid flow like these guys can.. glad i went with performabuilt!!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input. It was tuned. The fluid flow is another possibility here. hmm. Band broke initially, Then input drum and then TC, now TC??? Clutches??? 3 and OD went first but worked fine when the TC locked...? Then lost all gears.

I know FLT. Who is Performabuilt? Where are they? Reputation?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02Denali6L
Thanks for the input. It was tuned. The fluid flow is another possibility here. hmm. Band broke initially, Then input drum and then TC, now TC??? Clutches??? 3 and OD went first but worked fine when the TC locked...? Then lost all gears.

I know FLT. Who is Performabuilt? Where are they? Reputation?
Several guys on here use Performabuilt, and never heard a bad thing about them.. Last i saw they were including Trans Cooler and other small goodies in the deal?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:42 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I have heard this same story repeated over the years. The guys at FLT really cater to us truck guys and build a transmission designed to take the abuse and drive the weight of our trucks, your Denali is no lightweight!
Give the guys at FLT call in the morning, you won't be disapointed.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Default need input

Originally Posted by trever1t
Unfortunately I have heard this same story repeated over the years. The guys at FLT really cater to us truck guys and build a transmission designed to take the abuse and drive the weight of our trucks, your Denali is no lightweight!
Give the guys at FLT call in the morning, you won't be disapointed.
I have talked to both Chuck at FLT and Frank at Performabuilt. I am undecided right now but I would like to get my current trans redone by one of them since I already have several parts (beast shell, vetteservo, shiftkit, widebands, hardened input shaft). I will wait until tomorrow, when it is pulled, to see the extent of the damage. If it is just the 3-4 clutches as I think then I will try toget it redone instead of using it as a core.

Chuck recommends his L5 (4l65E as is already in it). Frank said I could get by with his level 2 (4l60E).
Any thoughts???
Old 07-07-2008, 09:39 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal experience says FLT Lv 5 is not going to give you any headaches.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Even if it is just a 3-4 pack. I would have one of those guys completely rebuild it for you. It's all in the little tricks they do and there attention to detial that sets them apart from your average Tranny shop...
Old 07-08-2008, 06:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Even if it is just a 3-4 pack. I would have one of those guys completely rebuild it for you. It's all in the little tricks they do and there attention to detial that sets them apart from your average Tranny shop...
I didn't plan for the tranny shop to build it this time. I want them to send it off. I just don't want it "fixed" again.

Quick Reply: Tranny Help! Again!