Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

TQ Converter Bolt ?s

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nightmarechevy
I wish you could just get it reseated from the inspection hole, that would make things much easier for me right about now.
Don't feel bad, I did the exact same thing. Pulled it out and made sure I got the spin click, spin, click, spin, click (3 times) and it installed no provlem after that.

I guess that's why the Helms manual tells you to install the "special GM Tool" to prevent the TC from moving.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
XLR8NSS is right, they're 8mm allen heads, but they impact the crap out of them at the factory. The link above is my old post. Thanks for reminding me.
I had to grind one of the heads completly off! As for new bolts, just get the proper size/thread count as the originals, but with a hex head and Grade 10.9.

Glad you got them out, they're a bitch to say the least.
Screw a grinder that last bastard of a bolt is gonna eat hot plasma. I will post pics of the carnage when I finally get it out.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

There ain't gonna be nothing left! Careful not to get the flexplate though, or any of the wires in that area.

I'd post a pic of what's left of my bolt, but it's just a threaded shaft with a head that looks like it was chewed on.

Nightmare, any updates? Does it spin freely? I.P. Freely
Old 06-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Adkoonerstrator

There ain't gonna be nothing left! Careful not to get the flexplate though, or any of the wires in that area.

I'd post a pic of what's left of my bolt, but it's just a threaded shaft with a head that looks like it was chewed on.

Nightmare, any updates? Does it spin freely? I.P. Freely
I have a new SFI flexplate and might just completely cut a circle around the offending bolt in the old flexplate.

Actually, I might try to pull the trans off with the converter still attatched to the flexplate and then try to rotate the converter down enough around that one bolt to get to the flexplate bolts. If I can do that I'll take the flexplate and converter off as one piece.

Going now to work on it for a bit tonight.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Screw a grinder that last bastard of a bolt is gonna eat hot plasma. I will post pics of the carnage when I finally get it out.
Yoda with a plasma cutter. King of all thats tight I am.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
I Actually, I might try to pull the trans off with the converter still attatched to the flexplate

Just be careful of the front pump/input shaft when you do that. We had a service tech break the pump on an 80e b/c he forgot to remove the tc bolts. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Just be careful of the front pump/input shaft when you do that. We had a service tech break the pump on an 80e b/c he forgot to remove the tc bolts. Good luck!
Transmission is already busted up. If something else breaks I don't care.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a converter in The Wood Hauler's truck, and to keep the converter in place, I put a pair of vise grips on one of the converter bolt lugs through the big inspection plug hole so the converter can't slide forward. Hope this helps!
Old 06-13-2005, 10:50 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Hold on a sec! Pull the tranny and converter back out again. Seat the converter properly and if it still doesn't spin than there's something wrong. Most likely you broke the pump gerotor and it'll need to be replaced. Don't feel bad, because evidently this is really easy to do on these things.
yes... we definetly learned that lesson the hard way.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:53 PM
14 Second Truck Club

luckily none of my TC bolts stripped. i think i have the magic wrench hand.

Quick Reply: TQ Converter Bolt ?s