Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

TQ Converter Bolt ?s

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GOT THEM OUT!!! We were able to hit them with an air hammer to make an notch and slowly spin them out. 2 of the bolts were stripped pretty bad. Took off the fluid pan and there were a few chunks of metal, a tooth or two, and tons of metal shavings.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nightmarechevy
GOT THEM OUT!!! We were able to hit them with an air hammer to make an notch and slowly spin them out. 2 of the bolts were stripped pretty bad. Took off the fluid pan and there were a few chunks of metal, a tooth or two, and tons of metal shavings.
Congrats! I wish I had an air compressor and chisel/hammer that day.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

THANKS! You guys helped out a lot and I'm really glad I got these things out. Yeah, it did come in VERY handy, took less than 5 mins to get both bolts out! I will try to post a pic or 2 for you guys so you can see the bolts now, lol.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got one out with a 8mm allen socket. The next one stripped out so I rapped it with the air hammer a couple times and it came out no problem. The next one stripped out with the 8mm allen, and it ain't freaking budging with the air hammer. I chiseled on that bastard for 5 minutes straight and it didn't do anything but, round the chisel point over . I hammered on one of those Irwin bolt extractors and it wouldn't budge that stubborn *** bolt. It actually rounded the outside off now.

Stupid POS 8mm allen head bolts.

Time to break out the plasma cutter I think.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was at JAG's shop this weekend and got some new bolts!!! Also, I must add that he is a great guy and really makes sure that his customers are happy and know everything that is going on. I recommend him to anyone with tranny problems!
Old 06-13-2005, 01:20 AM
TECH Veteran

XLR8NSS is right, they're 8mm allen heads, but they impact the crap out of them at the factory. The link above is my old post. Thanks for reminding me.
I had to grind one of the heads completly off! As for new bolts, just get the proper size/thread count as the originals, but with a hex head and Grade 10.9.

Glad you got them out, they're a bitch to say the least.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the converter seated today and got the tranny bolted on and the x-member bolted up. Went to spin the converter to line the holes up and it will not spin at all! Any trick to keeping this thing seated right while you bolt up the tranny? Looks like I'm gonna have to pull it all out again and start back at point A.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Hold on a sec! Pull the tranny and converter back out again. Seat the converter properly and if it still doesn't spin than there's something wrong. Most likely you broke the pump gerotor and it'll need to be replaced. Don't feel bad, because evidently this is really easy to do on these things.

If that's not the case and it just wasn't seated all the way, then use some little vise-grips on the bottom inspection hole to keep the converter from moving. Good luck and let us know.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. It would spin freely before we put it on, but one of the top brackets got in the way of the bell housing and we had to mess with it a little, I think it came unseated during all of that. Its just going to be a PITA to get the tranny back off just for that.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish you could just get it reseated from the inspection hole, that would make things much easier for me right about now.

Quick Reply: TQ Converter Bolt ?s