Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

towing with a converter

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing with a converter

Is it true that you cant tow much if at all with a converter? I have the 5.3 and will be installing a 3k stall. May be looking at a race car in the future. thanx.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Generally you really dont want to tow anything major with a converter. You can but IMO you really should avoid it if you can. Especially with a 3K stall. With a 3K you are already going to generate more heat for your tranny, and towing a load will be even greater heat on the tranny. With a 3K you need tranny cooler, and if you are going to tow with it you should maybe install an external fan with it as well.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Ok thanx I dont really plan on towing at all really. If I every do get a car I live just donw the road from the track so I could drive the car downt here. (if possable) If not its like 1.2 miles donw the road so. I was just wondering if I could pull anything with my stall. So the main concern is temp. huh.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wannagofast
Ok thanx I dont really plan on towing at all really. If I every do get a car I live just donw the road from the track so I could drive the car downt here. (if possable) If not its like 1.2 miles donw the road so. I was just wondering if I could pull anything with my stall. So the main concern is temp. huh.
Yeah, high temps will for sure cut down in the life of the tranny, and especially with these 60E. These trucks more or less have pretty high torque peaks around 3500 RPM stock, this is where most of the torque is. So if you put a 3K stall stall you are not going to have a problem towing anything since it is going to shoot your powerband within that range. But also keep in mind that everything else is spinning faster and generating more heat and with a load that is going to increase as well. Once its gets locked up and you are on the highway you should be fine. But if you are going to tow something in the middle of LA with stop and go traffic. That is really going to kill you. I am going to get a bigger tranny cooler for mine and also out an external fan on it becuase I live in the Desert and in the summer temps are greater than 100 most of july and august.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive
Yeah, high temps will for sure cut down in the life of the tranny, and especially with these 60E. These trucks more or less have pretty high torque peaks around 3500 RPM stock, this is where most of the torque is. So if you put a 3K stall stall you are not going to have a problem towing anything since it is going to shoot your powerband within that range. But also keep in mind that everything else is spinning faster and generating more heat and with a load that is going to increase as well. Once its gets locked up and you are on the highway you should be fine. But if you are going to tow something in the middle of LA with stop and go traffic. That is really going to kill you. I am going to get a bigger tranny cooler for mine and also out an external fan on it becuase I live in the Desert and in the summer temps are greater than 100 most of july and august.
Ok well thats cool with me. Also thats some information that I didnt know about. I do have a B&M 24,000 on it right now, I thought about putting one more of those on it any ways just because but not sure yet. The temps around here are the same way. 100s in the summer.