Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Thinking about going 80e

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about going 80e

My 2001 rcsb Silverado is stock, but I've got a plate kit that's going on next month, along with e-fans, lt's/ory/cut-out, and I'd like to cam my 5.3. My friend gave me a circle-d 3200 for my 60e, but I don't know about putting it in. My truck has 150,000 on it and although it runs/shifts great, I'm afraid to put the stall in the stock trans and I'm on the fence about an 80 swap. I have a friend selling a fresh re-built 4l80e for around $750 with stock stall. I've done some searching, but still can't figure out what I'll do about a driveshaft and trimming the crossmember. I'd hate to have $1500 in a stock 4l80 swap when I could have a fully-built 60 for that. I want to spray a 125 shot out of the hole and I need an affordable trans to hold it. THANKS for any help guys.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Don't think...just do.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

What would I need to do about the driveshaft? Anyone make a swap-harness?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

There are adapter harnesses not sure who all has them speartech does. You will need to have ecm tuned for swap too. I have an '06 low mileage stock converter 4l65 in 3800lb car that is flaring on 2-3 shift. not if but when any 4l60 will die behind 400+hp
Old 01-01-2012, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DTHPROOF
My 2001 rcsb Silverado is stock, but I've got a plate kit that's going on next month, along with e-fans, lt's/ory/cut-out, and I'd like to cam my 5.3. My friend gave me a circle-d 3200 for my 60e, but I don't know about putting it in. My truck has 150,000 on it and although it runs/shifts great, I'm afraid to put the stall in the stock trans and I'm on the fence about an 80 swap. I have a friend selling a fresh re-built 4l80e for around $750 with stock stall. I've done some searching, but still can't figure out what I'll do about a driveshaft and trimming the crossmember. I'd hate to have $1500 in a stock 4l80 swap when I could have a fully-built 60 for that. I want to spray a 125 shot out of the hole and I need an affordable trans to hold it. THANKS for any help guys.
A stock 4l80e will be just as strong if not stronger than a $1500 built 60e more then likley anyways. Take the shaft to a shop and have it modified for a couple hundred if that, the crossmember is easily modified with plate steel or angle, depending on 2wd or 4wd and a cutoff and welder. You're at 950, still got some left over for a good used converter and a shift kit, which is better then nothing. It shouldnt give you any problems with your setup. You can wire it up to run off the 60e tune, which keeps the TCC locked when you let off the throttle, which is really nice for higher stalls. I vote the 4l80e, I'd just hate to see you back on, telling us how your nice 60e (because a $1500 60e isnt "fully built") took a dump after a few nitrous launches.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks Mustangpunk. I'm sure there are more built 60's out there that are truly fully-built, but I just meant this trans would be good for 600 ft-lbs. I'm thinking about the 80 hard now. I don't have any driveshaft-specific shops around here though. I'm in Havelock, NC.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mustangpunk. I'm sure there are more built 60's out there that are truly fully-built, but I just meant this trans would be good for 600 ft-lbs. I'm thinking about the 80 hard now. I don't have any driveshaft-specific shops around here though. I'm in Havelock, NC.
Yeah, I knew you didn't mean fully built, and but I just said it that way because for 1500 you're just barely stepping up from regular rebuild really, IMO.. I just did a quick search and found, Baldree Tire and Service. It mentioned driveshaft repair, and balancing. Call and see if they do lengthening or shortening, if not ask if they know someone in the area that does. Ask around auto shops, and manchine shops and you'll find some one that does it. If you got the factory alunminum shaft, I'd look getting a whole new shaft for safety sake, which one of these shops can help you with locally if you find one, and are usually cheaper.

Last edited by Vince B; 01-01-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Non sponsored contact info
Old 01-01-2012, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks friend, I appreciate a reply other than "Try a search newb!" lol Generally speaking, how much should I expect to pay for a working 80? I forgot that the one I was looking at was being held for my friend Jason so if I go that route, I'll need to find one.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks friend, I appreciate a reply other than "Try a search newb!" lol Generally speaking, how much should I expect to pay for a working 80? I forgot that the one I was looking at was being held for my friend Jason so if I go that route, I'll need to find one.
their around 1k
Old 01-01-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Alright, and lastly; who sells a decent driveshaft if I decide to just get a new one? Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: Thinking about going 80e