Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

There went my rear end

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There went my rear end

Well I guess the pinion in the rear end is screwed now. I was doing a little bit of today and when I pulled around the stereo shop. Got out and got back in the truck, I put it in gear and it I had a loud crack or snap.... then metal hitting metal. I was like I checked the driveline because I thought it mightve been the shaft but it was still spinning. I'm guessing its in the rear end. the Driveshaft was spinning when I put it in gear. Good thing for extended warranty huh.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definately, mine wasn't under warranty . I got to replace it with 4.10s and a locker so I was happy, but recently (4-5 months after install) they started acting up so I took it to the shop and they said that something was messed up from wrong installation and they fixed it. Now, about a month later, it feels funny again and is shaking pretty bad at highway speed, so I'm thinking its going out agian. Make sure that you know who is repairing it and that they have a good name, otherwise you might end up in my shoes and have to keep messing with it for much longer.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nightmarechevy
Definately, mine wasn't under warranty . I got to replace it with 4.10s and a locker so I was happy, but recently (4-5 months after install) they started acting up so I took it to the shop and they said that something was messed up from wrong installation and they fixed it. Now, about a month later, it feels funny again and is shaking pretty bad at highway speed, so I'm thinking its going out agian. Make sure that you know who is repairing it and that they have a good name, otherwise you might end up in my shoes and have to keep messing with it for much longer.
Tha bastards at the dealership make me They brought in a adjuster to see if the rear differential would be covered by the extended warranty. Which the warranty I bought covers electrical and drivetrain. The Service Manager was talking it was about a 50/50 chance either way of them warrantying it. If they didnt warranty it. he shot a price of $3000 thats for everything I guess. He said the pinion shaft screwed, the differential was FUBAR, the spiders were..... well you get the picture. But $3000, I will tell them to stick it where the sun apparently never shines. I'll just buy the damn parts myself, preferably eaton.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Why wouldn't a diff be covered under a warranty that is suppose to cover drivetrain

Hell I got my old truck covered under an aftermarket warranty when I blew out the rear end and transmission at the same time.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea $300 is WAY high I could see doing it easy for 1/3 that price, Actually If you wanted to just go stock im sure you could find a new rear end for wayyy less then that
Old 05-10-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SBChevrolet
Yea $300 is WAY high I could see doing it easy for 1/3 that price, Actually If you wanted to just go stock im sure you could find a new rear end for wayyy less then that
They just pissed me off today. Started out that the warranty will not cover it and they denied the claim. Now I have to cancel anmd get a refund on how much is left on the warranty due tot he fact they said they wont ever accept a claim on that truck again due to performance parts. I told him he was full of **** after that. ONly thing I have is headers, which to an extent I can understand. But he said they were going to cancel the contract. I call the the people I have the warranty with...and they said they cant do anything but deny the claim. I call the service rep back and tell him what I was told, and he calls someone... to make a long story short. They want $3K for a new rear end, or $2500 to have it rebuilt. I told him put it back together the best yall can. I'm having it towed somwhere else. they charging me 1hour of labor
Old 05-10-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

go to a local speed shop and ask them if they or know anyone that can set up gears a 4x4 is another good place to try you can usually get it done for about $350 plus a couple hundread for gears and then what ever locker or LS you decide
Old 05-10-2005, 06:41 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your geting shafted. see if you can find a copy of the original warrenty and see what it says about aftermarket parts.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

2500 is way to much i had everything in my rear replaced when i had it regeared except the housing axle shafts and diff cover and it ran me 1200 installed and thats with a 600 dollar detriot in it.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

by law they can only deny warranty work is if the performance part was the cause of the breakage. talk to a lawyer.

Quick Reply: There went my rear end