Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tell me why to shim my converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 08:41 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Funny thing is, the feedback from PI after sending in the verter for a look was, and I'm paraphrasing, do not shim the converter (It never has been), we can tell that the verter has been into the transmission to far! Look at your pump rotor, that is what is probably making the noise. I can say with an absolute certainty that the verter has never been into the tranny to far unless it did so under hard acceleration or something. During the tranny install it never touched the flexplate.
I guess they really can't tell! Are they saying not to follow their instructions?

Supposedly there are different noises associated with the TC being too far out and either causing pump damage or wobbling. Not sure about the noise you described. Did you look at the pump?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
I just did what I was told by LS1 guys using Vig converters. Plus other truck guys using Vigs. Use the shims or dont use them. Up to you guys.
I agree 100%. A lot of guys say to, PI says to in their instructions (although they told me not to in a phone call based upon seeing the verter that had not been shimmed.) I couldn't pin down FLT to say shim it. They are gonna talk to PI first.

I just want to understand the reasons to deviate from what appears to be normal GM clearance (at least in my case) and will do so if the reasons are sound and the guys I've given 4 grand will stand behind their products if I do.

A thought on my part is the seeminly large clearance is in there to account for some balooning that the stock verters may have and should not be an issue with the PI and the billet front covers.

How many miles do you have on the truck after the verter install?

Last edited by KySilverado; 02-08-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:09 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

I agree 100%. A lot of guys say to, PI says to in their instructions (although they told me not to in a phone call based upon seeing the verter that had not been shimmed.) I couldn't pin down FLT to say shim it. They are gonna talk to PI first.

I just want to understand the reasons to deviate from what appears to be normal GM clearance (at least in my case) and will do so if the reasons are sound and they guys I've given 4 grand will stand behind their products if I do.

A thought on my part is the seeminly large clearance is in there to account for some balooning that the stock verters may have and should not be an issue with the PI and the billet front covers.

If the converters are absolutely identical in every dimension I can't see a reason to shim. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the space until I had the tranny bolted up so I didn't measure them both. Although I have seen the "don't pull the TC out more than 1/16-1/8 inch" guideline in many places. I have also read that the current GM TCs are fatter than on the previous generation trannies. One size fits all would require production of only the thinner TC?? I hope that there is a better reason for the spacing though.

How many miles do you have on the truck after the verter install?
I'm not firing it up until you take yours for a spin!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrX
I guess they really can't tell! Are they saying not to follow their instructions?

Supposedly there are different noises associated with the TC being too far out and either causing pump damage or wobbling. Not sure about the noise you described. Did you look at the pump?
I ran the TC unshimmed for months and gave it plenty of hell. The noise only came about recently.

No I haven't looked at the pump. It is due to be shipped back for the exchange and FLT has graciously agreed to looking at it. I don't know crap about the A4. Made a feeble attempt at pulling it and it wouldn't budge. It's a lot more involved to pull than I thought. I'm out of space, time and patience.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrX
If the converters are absolutely identical in every dimension I can't see a reason to shim. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the space until I had the tranny bolted up so I didn't measure them both. Although I have seen the "don't pull the TC out more than 1/16-1/8 inch" guideline in many places. I have also read that the current GM TCs are fatter than on the previous generation trannies. One size fits all would require production of only the thinner TC?? I hope that there is a better reason for the spacing though.

I'm not firing it up until you take yours for a spin!
I am gonna pull out my calipers and do a better job of measuring. My quick work with a scale has not found any obvious differences. I honestly think shimming is okay and may actually be a better route. I've tried the unshimmed route and may have damaged my tranny from it. I don't know. 45k miles on it. 30K under boost. It may just be an issue with the stock pump? Spin that puppy up. Gonna talk with PI and FLT again tomorrow. If they tell me to shim it I will.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:30 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Spin that puppy up.
I'm anxious to try out the Level 5. Waiting on some fuel system plumbing parts and the 90 mm TB though. Figured I might as well keep going while I was tearing things apart. No traction on the roads around here for another month or 2 anyway.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:14 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Doesn't the wear pattern look similar on your unshimmed PI TC and my stock TC? It does to me.The height of my stock TC is 6 5/8" as measured in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Tell me why to shim my converter-tc3.jpg   Tell me why to shim my converter-pumpmark.jpg   Tell me why to shim my converter-6.625-inch.jpg  
Old 02-10-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrX
Doesn't the wear pattern look similar on your unshimmed PI TC and my stock TC? It does to me.The height of my stock TC is 6 5/8" as measured in the pic.
Yes it does. As does the wear pattern on my unshimmed PI to stock TC. The mark goes down about 9mm from end of snout on both. This is picture of the snout pump mark of my oem verter.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Spoke with Chuck at FLT yesterday. He had just gotten off the phone with Precision Industries. They now agree and recommend that I do not shim my converter. Also mentioned Percision Industries changing/clarifying or removing the instructions to shim converter if clearance greater than 1/8". Seems this is information from the older generation SBC and TH350's, 400's. About 5/16" clearance is a normal condition for the LS1/new gen trannies and old techniques were just passed along to the new generation assuming that same clearances.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:52 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Did you remove the check ball from the end of the input shaft prior to installing the PI converter?

Quick Reply: Tell me why to shim my converter