Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

TCI 3500 Stall is in

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCI 3500 Stall is in

Well, I'm pretty proud of myself. Being only a 17 year old and never have pulled a transmission before I was a little nervous. But I got her in their all by myself!
OK, Sat I pretty much buttoned up everything. The torque converter was installed etc, I just needed to do little stuff. Sunday I tighted up some bolts, put the starter back on and searched for 2 hours for the trans. coolant clips. I found one readily, then searched long and hard for the other one. I had to have them to leave, or else I'd leak trans. fluid like no tomorrow, so I was pretty much ready to go except for the clips but I found them thank god!
OK,after hooking up the trans cooler, finding the trans cooler clips I had lost and putting the starter and checking everything again, it was time to go. I started the truck, went to idle, and died. I was starting to freak, tried again, did the same thing. Then I sat their for a second thinking, then tried the 3rd time, she cranked up and idled fine. It probably idled for around 3 minutes low on fluid, then I found a quart of ATF and filled it to the full mark. Took it around the block and all was good. Rechecked the fluid level, it was fine and drove home.
I got a 3500 Stall converter so it's looser than stock quite a bit, when I hit the gas the RPMs jump to 3-4000 RPM quickly. It's pretty insane, I'll hold the throttle at 4K RPMs and during each shift I only lose like 200 RPM!!! Crazy. I just keep moving, no lag/RPM drop for a shift! But anyway I'm still worried though. Even though I got the right size cooler etc, I still need to hurrily get a trans. temp. gauge. I put my hand on the cooler and it's pretty darn hot. So I want to monitor my temps for a peace of mind. That'll be bought and installed tomorrow. All in all it went well, seems to drive fine etc. Only thing is, even before I installed the torque converter I would have a loud transmission whine around the 4,000 mark, so with my RPMs floating their it whines loud and long, that's the only thing pretty much.
Also, on the way home from Bemiss I had a vibration that occurred twice in a row. When the torque converter locked up at 55 MPH when cruiseing their was a vibration for a second, then went away, I'm scared and still am. It hasn't done it again, but I really haven't locked up the converter much since then. So I don't know.
What do you think about my trans. cooler being hot? I know it will feel hot since it's such a smaller cooler etc, but I'm just worrying a little.
Thanks,
Philip S.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey thats Great kid! Really good job! Now she's runin like a beast!

Sorry but I only read that you istalled the TC in and lost concentration becuase of the looooooong post!
Old 07-31-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gran Patron
Hey thats Great kid! Really good job! Now she's runin like a beast!

Sorry but I only read that you istalled the TC in and lost concentration becuase of the looooooong post!
Thanks man! Yeah I added a little detail to say the least .
Philip S.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say the vibration is normal I have had the vibration at lockup on mine since I installed it and that was 9000 miles ago. These trannies are designed to run up to like 225 or so, so dont get worried unless it gets over that. With my cooler it stays at 160 even in hot weather.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I would say the vibration is normal I have had the vibration at lockup on mine since I installed it and that was 9000 miles ago. These trannies are designed to run up to like 225 or so, so dont get worried unless it gets over that. With my cooler it stays at 160 even in hot weather.
OK, I remember before I added the stall, at 40-45MPH ish at lock up their would be a vibration. Now since this TC is in, at 40-45 lock-up there's definietely a noticeable vibration to say the least. So, you believe this is normal?
Thanks,
Philip S.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its the same way on my truck. My tc is on its way out though but I think that mainly has to do with the offroading, heavy towing and spraying the **** out of it with the nitrous all of which the particular converter I have was not intended for. Everything is going to be applified with stall. You might want to get the tranny checked out though if it was whining before the install thats not good. Could be a number of things and if something takes a **** in the tranny it could take evreything out.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Philip you are deffinatly going to need two coolers on there with that stall..
I know it was the only way to keep my temps down with my 3500 stall.

as far as the vibration goes, I would look into it..
mine does not vibrate, and never has..even with the TC being removed, and replaced several times..
Check your transmission mount, and everything else to make sure you got it in there..

oh yeah and I sent you a PM about the guage.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01 Thunder
Philip you are deffinatly going to need two coolers on there with that stall..
I know it was the only way to keep my temps down with my 3500 stall.

as far as the vibration goes, I would look into it..
mine does not vibrate, and never has..even with the TC being removed, and replaced several times..
Check your transmission mount, and everything else to make sure you got it in there..

oh yeah and I sent you a PM about the guage.
Oh lord. I drove my truck around 20 miles twice today, I tried very hard though to keep the RPMs low and to not throttle it when I had too. I don't have a guage now as your aware of, so I'm very scared. I believe the vibration is my U-joints and possibly my driveshaft. So I'm replacing my U-joints and checking the driveshaft tomorrow. BTW, since I was so worried about my temps, I decided to be the redneck I am. after driving it, I spit on my trans cooler (to see if it bubbled indicating temps above 212 F) and it didn't bubble at all, so my temps must be lower than 212 F right? Also I had an SES light pop on right when I cam home. Do you have an idea what they could be?
Thanks Daniel
Philip S.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:13 PM
11 Second Truck Club

i have the same problem with mine. i don't think it's your u joints or driveshaft
mine does it when it locks up in third and fouth at low speeds. the only way it won't do it is if it locks up in third after 42mph and locks up in od after 52mph.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
i have the same problem with mine. i don't think it's your u joints or driveshaft
mine does it when it locks up in third and fouth at low speeds. the only way it won't do it is if it locks up in third after 42mph and locks up in od after 52mph.
I don't know what else it could be? James B. told me a way to check to see if it's transmission or driveline related, so I'll do that tomorrow, see what happens.
Philip S.

Quick Reply: TCI 3500 Stall is in