Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids
View Poll Results: A4-T56 Who did it?
Did u do it? Tally needed.
52.63%
Would u do again?
31.58%
Do this 4l60E A4 - T56?
15.79%
Do a 4l80E?
26.32%
Do 4l65E?
15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

T56 conversions. Who's done em? A4-M6

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started the install today, auto's now on the floor and the fun began putting the neccessary manual components in the truck. I am slowed by the clutch pedal rear mount bolt and have had no luck reading what guys have done. there is nothing anywhere to mount the beeotch to. The neighbors got a 5 speed same year but can't see **** other than, yeah there's a clutch pedal hanging there with a bolt going up into dash...somewhere. A little roadblock that was discouraging but after a long coffee and throwing the shifter on the tranny sitting on my tailgate and jamming a few gears (I think every swap requires this) I came around and can't wait to try it out. The clutch pedal bracket issue may call for a fresh support thread for myself, not wanting to drop the dash. Gibbs? 1TRUESS? Hint hint, nudge, nudge.
Unfortunately you can't swap a tranny and add that darn pedal bracket as fast as you can read these posts and dream it up. Thanks McLennan for your help thus far!
Old 05-04-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rosebrugh
...I am slowed by the clutch pedal rear mount bolt and have had no luck reading what guys have done. anywhere to mount

... throwing the shifter on the tranny sitting on my tailgate and jamming a few gears (I think every swap requires this) I came around and can't wait to try it out. The clutch pedal bracket issue may call for a fresh support thread for myself, not wanting to drop the dash. Gibbs? 1TRUESS? Hint hint, nudge, nudge.
Unfortunately you can't swap a tranny and add that darn pedal bracket as fast as you can read these posts and dream it up. Thanks McLennan for your help thus far!
Let me know how swap goes. And what u did for mount too?

Ya, it's a prerequisite - row thru gears for grins.

Last edited by fastnblu; 05-15-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rosebrugh
I started the install today, auto's now on the floor and the fun began putting the neccessary manual components in the truck. I am slowed by the clutch pedal rear mount bolt and have had no luck reading what guys have done. there is nothing anywhere to mount the beeotch to. The neighbors got a 5 speed same year but can't see **** other than, yeah there's a clutch pedal hanging there with a bolt going up into dash...somewhere. A little roadblock that was discouraging but after a long coffee and throwing the shifter on the tranny sitting on my tailgate and jamming a few gears (I think every swap requires this) I came around and can't wait to try it out. The clutch pedal bracket issue may call for a fresh support thread for myself, not wanting to drop the dash. Gibbs? 1TRUESS? Hint hint, nudge, nudge.
You have to make something to thread to. Search for the "official t56 swap" thread
Old 05-04-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Link!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Thanks shakin but that thread has been so molested its painful to read through. I need a way to get just the factual information out of it. Someone should cut and paste the facts out of that thread and rewrite it so that the questions and rubbish are all removed. How's the 3.73 workin for you? I swapped mine out in favour of 4.10 and a trutrac last fall and some are saying 4.10's aren't enough for the T56. Whats your opinion? Is 1st crazy high or what?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RERICK
What about an SSR ? They are "trucks" and they came with a 6 spd..Maybe just reprogram the transmission section of the comp ? I guess it's called a segment swap. I have HP Tuners but I am not too good with it yet.
Ron

Won't work, the SSR with the T56 was an LS2 PCM the codes are different
Old 05-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Teching In

T56 is on the road. The shifter is poking up through the carpet and needs to be lengthened but it drives! More time is needed to pretty it up and put things in their final place. After being parked for a month and driving the old Ford farm truck I forgot how much fun my truck was. I put the stock 255/70/16's back on to bring my gearing back down. First gear is deffinitely high and requires me to slip the clutch a little more than I'd like. My tune has been updated but isn't 100% yet, idle is still a little up and down. Reverse lights and other little details will need to be worked out when time permits. The first time I let it go I smiled for the next three days. Deffinitely worth the swap, deffinitely re-gearing when I find my final tire size. Change your gears last and search sites to calculate you speeds vs. rpms correctly. Comparing the Camaro pedal setup, the clutch pedal assist spring would be pretty nice through town, the pedal is a little on the stiff side. If you like jammin gears, deffinitely the way to go.