Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids
View Poll Results: A4-T56 Who did it?
Did u do it? Tally needed.
52.63%
Would u do again?
31.58%
Do this 4l60E A4 - T56?
15.79%
Do a 4l80E?
26.32%
Do 4l65E?
15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

T56 conversions. Who's done em? A4-M6

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, yeah, he's about 6500lbs too and pushing 750rwhp....you? I know a lot of guys here and locally with absolutely no issues on their ec/rc trucks making 600hp. with the 80. Everything has limits.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted that I did it and yes i'd do it again. Mine is my DD and I have no complaints. Standard driving is 1-3-5-6. 2nd and 4th rarely get used. Due to the 1st gear and the taller tires in the trucks you have to go to a 4.56 or numerically higher gear for it to work right IMO.
If you go to the track a lot, be prepared to break parts. A manual trans is 3-4x harder on drivetrain parts than an automatic. I've stressed the bolts in my truetrac that hold it together and caused them to back out resulting in a pop in the rear end from the bolts shearing. I pulled the cover and just replaced the bolts and no problems since. I snapped an axle. The trans are pretty stout. No issues there yet. I recommend a heavy duty diff cover to help strengthen the housing.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

I did it. I went from a 5spd. to a t56, so it wasn't a big thing. I put in a t56 from an SSR with the SSR clutch and flywheel . Their are quite a few differences between the SSR trans. and the F body t56. ( longer input shaft , taller shifter location and a 400 style output shaft, also 3.01 first gear. I changed my rear gear to a 4:56 . I like it and would do it again. I am not too thrilled with my master / slave set up , but it's not too bad .
Ron
Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Oh! one other thing, my cruise control only works in 3rd and 4th gear not 5th or 6th. I haven't been able to figure it out yet , or maybe I'm wating for someone to do it .
Ron
Old 04-23-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RERICK
Oh! one other thing, my cruise control only works in 3rd and 4th gear not 5th or 6th. I haven't been able to figure it out yet , or maybe I'm wating for someone to do it .
Ron
Same here with the cruise deal. I just don't use it any more and don't really miss it enough to work out the problem.
The LS7 clutch gets my vote. I love it. It drives like a stock clutch and has enough holding power to snap an axle.
The Centerforce Dual friction centrifugal weights are a problem so stay away. The truck master cyl can't overcome the force of the weights on the clutch fingers above 5000 rpms and it won't disengage enough to shift. Ask how I know.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

How do ya know? ha.
I sense more broken parts.On your behalf.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
I voted that I did it and yes i'd do it again. Mine is my DD and I have no complaints. Standard driving is 1-3-5-6. 2nd and 4th rarely get used. Due to the 1st gear and the taller tires in the trucks you have to go to a 4.56 or numerically higher gear for it to work right IMO.
If you go to the track a lot, be prepared to break parts. A manual trans is 3-4x harder on drivetrain parts than an automatic. I've stressed the bolts in my truetrac that hold it together and caused them to back out resulting in a pop in the rear end from the bolts shearing. I pulled the cover and just replaced the bolts and no problems since. I snapped an axle. The trans are pretty stout. No issues there yet. I recommend a heavy duty diff cover to help strengthen the housing.
I'd prefer to stick w/3.42, maybe move up to 3.73.
I try to go to track @ least once a year. I haven't been in ~2yrs. Plus, $$ been tight lately, I have very few to go w/. Mainly tho, I haven't any new parts. I've added some since my last time out. I've been broke too. Once $ problems square up, in goes a tranny. I then want to go to track more, say 3-5x a year. Maybe more. Ya a diff cover is in my head too. Like a TA or Mag/Hytec. Traction will need to be addressed. w/both tire, & Caltracs( if it'll work w/ my Hotchkis, I've read yes & some say no). As I mod, I go to track more. Right now, it's no screamer.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I'd prefer to stick w/3.42, maybe move up to 3.73.
i have 3.73 in my turck with the t56 and the low end torque is almost not there. im gonna step up to 4.10s or 4.30s.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did it. I went from a 5spd. to a t56, so it wasn't a big thing. I put in a t56 from an SSR with the SSR clutch and flywheel . Their are quite a few differences between the SSR trans. and the F body t56. ( longer input shaft , taller shifter location and a 400 style output shaft, also 3.01 first gear. I changed my rear gear to a 4:56 . I like it and would do it again. I am not too thrilled with my master / slave set up , but it's not too bad .
Ron
Ya that's a nice head start. U already had the 3 pedals. I'm not too worried if I had to have someone or me( maybe) fab a different shifter or a X-member. Even as long as I get correct measurements, driveshaft shorten( or is it lenghthen? I need longer IIRC) would be a 1-time deal. Working thru wiring scares me!!!< But once wiring is done, it's done. Ongoing naggin problems are not cool either. I don't care about cutting hole in floor, it's not rare, so ok there. I've read about slave/master woes too. Just yesterday actually.

MY main worries: Wiring.
-Then, prolly gettin correct master/slave, & hoping I don't break said slave/mstr. If I do, more fab trial & error. on a plate or...I DO NOT WANT replace a particular component over & over that I made an oversight on.
These issues concern me more than paying for Conversion. Abuse ok, & wear/tear. But not something I really booboo'd. If so, improve to make it right.

If I go M6 instead of auto, I want todo it right the 1st time. I'll use good parts. Theory is, stay together w / quality parts/workmanship.

Ron
You maybe? or TGibbs...other guinea pigs too?

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
Same here with the cruise deal. I just don't use it any more and don't really miss it enough to work out the problem.
The LS7 clutch gets my vote. I love it. It drives like a stock clutch and has enough holding power to snap an axle.
The Centerforce Dual friction centrifugal weights are a problem so stay away. The truck master cyl can't overcome the force of the weights on the clutch fingers above 5000 rpms and it won't disengage enough to shift. Ask how I know.
I want a good clutch. Nice pedal effort, & holding power. I don't plan on doing 5K clutch drops. LS7 or similar.

If I do a conversion, I'm thinkin $4K. This is still in research/ planning stage. Even if I do 80E conversion, I'll guess $4K. I do know 60E's don't impress me, but something will occur to address trans. Any less than $4k is all the better.

Keep thoughts good or bad coming. Opinions post up. DO IT! DO IT!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

i have no cruise in 6th, but i do have it in fifth. of course my truck started out with a 5speed. the problem i have found with the cruise is the vss and the computer. the truck computers dont have the peramiters to support a 6th gear. so there for no cruise. the nnbs have cruise in 6th because the trans module has the peramiters to support it, and it is a seperate module from the bcm, ecm, and vcm. the one theroy is to put a fbody ecm in, but that would require rewiring the main harness and changing pin locations on the ecm plugs.

Quick Reply: T56 conversions. Who's done em? A4-M6