Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Suspension warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension warranty

Hope some of you can help me with a decision. I've been considering a 2/4 or possibly a 2/3 drop for my truck. Will a dealership install a suspension kit, and if so, will I lose my warranty on the suspension? I've heard a couple stories and some people said I keep my warranty ONLY if the dealership installs the suspenion kit. Is this true or not? I understand the labor will cost alot but if I can keep the warranty, I think it will be worth it. Any info on this would be appreciated.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

A dealer can not take away your warranty for just installing an aftermarket product. There is case law to back this. They can only deny a warranty claim IF, they can PROVE the aftermarket product caused the part to fail. Having a dealer install a drop (if they would even do that) would probably cost a LOT more and won't change your warranty any. I would get it done by a reputable shop that has plenty on experience in this area.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
A dealer can not take away your warranty for just installing an aftermarket product. There is case law to back this. They can only deny a warranty claim IF, they can PROVE the aftermarket product caused the part to fail. Having a dealer install a drop (if they would even do that) would probably cost a LOT more and won't change your warranty any. I would get it done by a reputable shop that has plenty on experience in this area.
Yes, there are laws to protect you from that, but a change in the geometric configuration of the suspension WILL void the warranty. That is specifically stated in the warranty paperwork.

That law works both ways. Not only do they have to prove it did, you have to prove it didn't.

Now changing a gear or something, as long as it's set up right (which will be obvoius in a failure most of the time) is different. They can void the tranny warranty, plus you don't have to tell them you changed it. But on a drop, it's obvious. My experience was this: When I blew my engine (don't know why ) my truck was/is dropped 3/4. The dealership left it on the lift so it would not appear lowered when the warranty guys came to look at it. It was not a GM warranty, so they didn't take any chances. They told me they have had battle on it. But I do know that waht I said in the first paragraph is true. That's why I have replaced 2 lower and 1 upper ball joint on my dime.