Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

sources for 14" brake rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dezert1500 gave me the following specs for the powerslot rotors. It appears they would not work for substitutes for the baer front rotors. We do not know the specs of the powerslot rear rotors at this time.

floor to top of hat 2"
rotor thickness 1-1/8" (1.125")

This means they would be offset out 5/16" too far toward the wheel. They might not clear the baer brackets.

In other news, after I complained to baer about the excessive cracking on the rear rotors, they offered to give me a "one time discount of 15% off of racer price" on the rotors. The guy says they can make me slot-only rotors but it will take a while longer since they are not in stock (they normally sell slot/drill rotors only). Looks like it would be about $850 shipped for a set of 4 after the discount. I'm waiting on a price from SSBC on 4 of their rotors before I decide what to do.

I also have in the back of my mind that I can get a brand new baer alumasport kit for $1150 shipped, and sell the remnants of my current kit. This might be the way to go, because even if I get new rotors, I still need new pads too.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See below for more accurate measurements. I mis-read what you wanted the first time, but it's actually the measurement you really need. I thought you wanted floor to inside top of hat where the rotor mounts on the hub. You're really going to need that measurement as that's what determines the rotors to the calipers alignment. To top of hat means nothing as that's where the wheel mounts against.

Baer rotors:

front: floor to top of hat 2-5/16"
rotor thickness 1.145"

SSBC:

front: floor to top of hat 2-5/16"
rotor thickness 1.210"

Powerslot

front:
floor to top of hat 2-1/4"
floor to inside of hat 1-7/8"
rotor thickness 1.144"
hat mounting thickness .375 or 3/8"

You really need floor to inside top of hat for the SSBC and Baer to see if they are interchangeable. I'd also measure hat thickness. I wouldn't be surprised if the Powerslots worked as replacement for both as they look really close if not the same.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update: SSBC says they will sell all 4 rotors for $475 with free shipping through the end of this month.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Baer front hat thickness: 0.375"
floor to inside of hat: 1-15/16"

baer rear hat thickness: 0.240"
floor to inside of hat: 3-1/2"

With these new figures it looks like the front powerslot rotors would also work fine as replacements with the baer calipers/brackets.

Now we just need someone with powerslot 14" rear rotors to give us some figures...and we need for powerslot to respond with pricing.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

From these specs it appears the SSBC front rotors are about 1/8" thicker than the baer
What makes you say that? You are comparing a new rotor to a used rotor (I assume you measured the rotor currently on your truck).

Anyway, the difference you state is only 1/16"

So yeah, the SSBC do seem like a very good replacement candidate for the Baer's.
How much a are the SSBC rotors?
Old 07-27-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
What makes you say that? You are comparing a new rotor to a used rotor (I assume you measured the rotor currently on your truck).

Anyway, the difference you state is only 1/16"

So yeah, the SSBC do seem like a very good replacement candidate for the Baer's.
How much a are the SSBC rotors?
Sorry about that 1/8, it should have been 1/16...must have gotten too many numbers floating around in my head at that time.

My baer rotors are worn, but the very outer edge is still original thickness. In other words there is a lip at the outer edge, and then the wear begins about 1/8" below that.

SSBC rotors appear to be about half of baers in terms of cost.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RotaryResurrection
Update: SSBC says they will sell all 4 rotors for $475 with free shipping through the end of this month.
Are you going to buy them?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Last Call
Are you going to buy them?
Looks like it, yeah. It's literally almost half price of baer's rotors with shipping cost, even after their "one time 15% discount off of racer net pricing".
Old 07-28-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I finally got a reply from the powerslot people. Apparently they do not MAKE a 14" rear rotor for the 00-06 GM trucks with the 2 piston rear calipers. The rotor they offer is 18.5mm thick and is apparently for the pickups with the single piston caliper. Even though I dont need their bracket, and thus the caliper is a non-issue, their rotor would be about 11mm too thin to use with the baer alumasport kit.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:26 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RotaryResurrection
Looks like it, yeah. It's literally almost half price of baer's rotors with shipping cost, even after their "one time 15% discount off of racer net pricing".
I need a set of front rotors. Do they make just slotted rotors? Mine are cracked at the drill holes.

Can you PM who you have been talking to so I can place my order?

Thanks for your work on this!!!

Quick Reply: sources for 14" brake rotors?