Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Somthing broke in the drivetain....but what???? 1993 half ton

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somthing broke in the drivetain....but what???? 1993 half ton

Hello, I bought a 1993 gmc 1500 that needed the trans to be rebuilt. I throw on some "Farm Use" tags and drive it home. It was slippin like a sumabitch in 3rd and 4th. It had a hard time gettin into 4th so I would let of the gas and tap it a few times but it made it home.

I pull the trans and take it to get rebuilt. 2 days later its done and I re-install. Im hoping like hell there is nothin wrong because thats the way my luck works....anyway, I get it fire it up and drop in into reverse, I feel no tug, I go thru all the gears a few times hoping to help warm/lubricate the thing. I feel no tug in any gear. I put it in drive and hit the gas.....Doenst move! try it in all forward gears and it revs up to 2 grand before it tries to pull.

Call the trans guy and of course he blames all this other stuff. So I pull the trans, take it back, he adjust the "linkage" inside. What ever that is. I re-install and it works! Shifts suck but it moves.

Three days later I hear a clunk and the truck Barely drives forward. It slips and make a loud clicking sound, like someone shuffling cards really really loud. No revere at all, no park unless I put it in 4 wheel (The front drive shaft isnt even in it). The speedo goes up but the truck doesnt move. I pull the transfer case and rip it apart, I see nothing wrong at all. I start the truck and its still making the loud clicking sound. Drain the fluid in the transmission and I see metal shavings. I take the trans out and It sounds like somehtin is broken. When I turn the main shaft it squeels. Take it to him and he calls me today after tearing down the 4L60e, Claims nothing is wrong with it. Everything looks good inside.

WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!!!

Please let me know what it could be!, I think I have done everything, checked everything, Is he lying and just tellin me nothing was wrong? Rear end is good (its not posi but its not broken lol)

GMC
Halfton
4x4
4l60e
5.7 liter 350
260k miles

Extended cab short bed

I think I have everything covored.