Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

some torque management and the 3-4 clutch pack

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some torque management and the 3-4 clutch pack

My tranny is at FLT for a new 3-4 clutch pack.I've never ran it with any torque management but Justin and I did a lot of work on the shift pressures to keep it healthy.Wearing out this 3-4 clutch pack is the first problem I've had with it.I wanted to know if I put say 25% TM in my normal mode would this help the clutch live longer?Or is it not wearing at the shift but just wearing at all times it is applied do my power level and weight?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats what failed on my Lvl 5. I don't think its the shift.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This may sound stupid but, does the 3-4 clutch pack control the 3->4 shift?

Last edited by BlackGMC; 01-06-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

FLT is rebuilding my tranny right now but I wonder if this clutch pack is something I'm going to have to learn how to replace myself because it is a normal wear part.I realize mine wears faster!

Has anyone swapped there own 3-4 clutches?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

3-4 clutch is used in 3rd and in 4th.

When going from 2nd to 3rd, the 2/4 band releases and the 3-4 clutch comes on. When going from 3rd to 4th, the 2/4 band applies (3-4 clutch stays engaged too).

I think I'm having the same issue right now as well and I have most of the factory torque management still. Given my trans is not a FLT though.... I would say it's just the power and the weight and use (or should I say abuse---lol). I haven't tore mine apart yet, but mine is slipping bad in 4th when I roll into it and the 3rd will do the same thing under heavier throttle....

Off subject, but how do you like the Circle D converter? I'm finding that many of the faster guys have broken converter hubs on the more popular tc's (Yank and PI). I want to buy one converter Hope I didn't hijack your thread and good luck.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

slowfive0
I actually ran a Yank TT3000 for 2 years and just recently changed a few months ago for the Circle D.My Yank held up great but was too loose for me on the street[flash stalled to 3500], do to my trucks weight and power.So I talked to Chris at Circle D and explained my set-up and he recommended a 12" billet converter.It flashes to 3000, where I wanted and is tighter for street use.Also I ran a new best at the track with it.I'm really satisified with it.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool! I'm looking at old threads and I'm finding a lot of people that are running them! Funny thing is I never heard of them until last week! LMAO! I guess I need to come out from under my rock once in a while ;-)

I'm running a maggie and pretty much have it narrowed down between Yank and Circle D. Probably won't have any issues anyways at my performance levels/goals. Btw, bad a$$ truck! That is friggin awesome---you must surprise a ton of people with that--- LMFAO!

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
slowfive0
I actually ran a Yank TT3000 for 2 years and just recently changed a few months ago for the Circle D.My Yank held up great but was too loose for me on the street[flash stalled to 3500], do to my trucks weight and power.So I talked to Chris at Circle D and explained my set-up and he recommended a 12" billet converter.It flashes to 3000, where I wanted and is tighter for street use.Also I ran a new best at the track with it.I'm really satisified with it.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just curious, why didn't you just have Yank restalled?

slowfive0
Old 01-06-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was going to have it restalled, which would have really made it a TT2600.After discussing this with Yank they said I really need to be running a billet converter.So I talked to Yank and Circle D about their billet converters and made a choice.I have nothing against Yank though, I think they make a great product.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah, I missed that you had the TT series. How long have you had the Circle D? Thanks.

I was going to have it restalled, which would have really made it a TT2600.After discussing this with Yank they said I really need to be running a billet converter.So I talked to Yank and Circle D about their billet converters and made a choice.I have nothing against Yank though, I think they make a great product.

Quick Reply: some torque management and the 3-4 clutch pack