Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

shift kit going in the 4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 09:22 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 02_2500avalanche
The accumulator seemed to go in very easy even with that big spring, I held it up put the bolts in and sucked it in with the bolts
yep, that's exactly how I did it.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:37 PM
what a rush!

any news? now that I think about it more that booster was a tight fit, I remember having to basically dip it in tranny fluid before I could send it home.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to transgo today and we both came to the conclusion that I might not have enough fluid in there. He said that since I let the truck sit over night the converter probably half drained down. They said it should take about 10 quarts. The truck is still sitting at my work so Im gonna pick up a case of atf and see what happens. Hopefully thats all it is
Old 11-07-2005, 08:39 PM
what a rush!

I talked to transgo today and we both came to the conclusion that I might not have enough fluid in there. He said that since I let the truck sit over night the converter probably half drained down. They said it should take about 10 quarts. The truck is still sitting at my work so Im gonna pick up a case of atf and see what happens. Hopefully thats all it is
I think I used 11 or 13 quarts, forget exactly, but it was plenty
Old 11-07-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe mine took about 14 quarts to fill the entire tranny and TC. So I would say that you need about 11 to 13 to fill it up just like grippy said. Please post your solution I plan on doing mine this weekend.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I added more fluid and it still isnt moving. Talked to transgo again and they said they have never heard of a problem like this. One thing that is extremely weird is that the fluid level is about 4 inches over the full line on the dip stick. I have a feeling its not sucking up the fluid. I got a new filter to put in when I did the shift kit. Now that I remember the pan was sort of tough to get on, I had to push it up and hold it then bolt it on and the filter was the only thing that could interfer with this. My thought is that the pick up is stuck to the bottom of the pan. Im gonna drain the fluid and drop the pan and see whats up.

Alex
Old 11-10-2005, 01:01 AM
what a rush!

Well I added more fluid and it still isnt moving. Talked to transgo again and they said they have never heard of a problem like this. One thing that is extremely weird is that the fluid level is about 4 inches over the full line on the dip stick. I have a feeling its not sucking up the fluid. I got a new filter to put in when I did the shift kit. Now that I remember the pan was sort of tough to get on, I had to push it up and hold it then bolt it on and the filter was the only thing that could interfer with this. My thought is that the pick up is stuck to the bottom of the pan. Im gonna drain the fluid and drop the pan and see whats up.

Alex
Doh That would be good news! sorta.....make sure you take pics
Old 11-11-2005, 09:36 AM
what a rush!

just checking in, everything go ok?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Check those two solenoids or whatever they are on the front of the valve body. They can get broken if you force the pan too much. I broke one on mine and had to replace it. It was the one on the passenger side I think and I had no 3rd or OD I believe. I am going from memory but I had no OD for sure and pretty sure no 3rd gear. It would just rev like it was in neutral. The solenoid did not look broken but I could wiggle it a little.

Good luck and lets know how it goes.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I pushed in a new tranny filet seal and still the fluid is not going down its like not sucking it up. The best is I call transgo and they say I am the first person to ever have a problem like this, just dandy. So now I have to tear the valve body out again and figuire it out. Whats even better is that my weekends are the only times I get to work on it. I go to Universal Technical Institute 6 hours a day and work another 6 the same day, so monday to friday is all 12 hour days and I have another job on saturday maintaining a fleet of trucks. I wish **** would just go right cause I don't have the time or patience for this sometimes. Thank god for my boss who has been letting me drive his plow truck.

Alex

Quick Reply: shift kit going in the 4l80e