Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

running without front axle shafts and wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running without front axle shafts and wheel bearings?

i asked online (not here) a while back about not running the front cv axle shafts on my 4wd truck, can it be done. the responses were no it can't because the cv shaft which slides through the center of the front wheel bearing assembly has the large 1-1/4 jesus nut tightened to around 150 lb-ft which keeps the front wheel bearing assembly together. if i don't have the front cv axle shafts in, i was given the impression the front wheel bearings would separate while driving, i would lose my front wheels off the truck and die.

however, i'm looking at rockauto and there's front hubs for 4wd and for RWD, different part numbers and then a timken saying for both.
so asking the above question again, is it true? how do trucks without 4wd and no front axle shafts work I assume they have no front axle shaft going through the center of the front wheel bearing assembly?
what could be the difference between the moog or skf bearings having different part #'s for RWD versus 4WD, or is it the same part and just a f'ing price markup for 4wd?

on rockauto:
moog/national #515086 for RWD
moog/national #515058 for 4WD

** timken #SP580310 for both 4WD and RWD classic style.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 8.1L.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:36 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I cant answer your question, but be a pioneer and order both and compare them and return the one you cant use in the event they are different!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:01 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes my 2wd wheelbearings have splines to except a cv shaft. Idk how they hold together. The 4wd pulling cv shafts not a good idea told my buddy to do it and didn't make it 300 ft till both wheels tilted like loosing lower ball joints.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The original GM design had individual part numbers for 2wd and 4wd. The 4wd version had CV splines and a dust cap to protect them from corrosion. Fast forward a few years and GM decided that the dust cap was not needed and started using a splined hub in all applications, there by eliminating the need for two part numbers. Some aftermarket manufacturers have followed suite and others have stuck to the original method.

Answering the rest of your question becomes more difficult because I am not an expert on Moog/Timken/etc parts. I can't tell if your end goal is to replace the bearings at the cheapest price or to convert your 4wd to 2, but I can say that yes, a current OEM replacement hub bearing assembly would function on your truck with the CV axles removed. To my knowledge, the "jesus nut" does not and could not act as a bearing nut on any version or brand of hub designed for your truck.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
a current OEM replacement hub bearing assembly would function on your truck with the CV axles removed. To my knowledge, the "jesus nut" does not and could not act as a bearing nut on any version or brand of hub designed for your truck.
yeah i wouldn't think the cv nut would act as a bearing retaining nut on the front assembly. but trxmxzx says he witnessed a hub failure not running the cv shafts. so seems like i can't get a definitive answer.

unless trxmxzx is referring to a completely different type of wheel bearing in a different model truck?

it would be nice to be able to pull my cv shafts then drive the truck and see what noise & vibration if any was coming from them.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
Yes my 2wd wheelbearings have splines to except a cv shaft. Idk how they hold together. The 4wd pulling cv shafts not a good idea told my buddy to do it and didn't make it 300 ft till both wheels tilted like loosing lower ball joints.

what year make model of truck ?
Old 02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It was in a 2001 sierra- things probably have changed over the years
Old 02-18-2014, 06:21 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cv axle shaft does double duty. It "holds" the hub together with that giant nut against itself where the splines end on the same half of the shaft, and it provides the 4x4 part when needed. When the axle shafts are removed the wheel bearing "seperates". The part with the wheel studs pulls apart from the rear part that bolts to the spindle. 4wd hub bearings should not be used without the CV axles. If anything seperate your CV axles until you are left with a stub or the outer splined part of the axle only. I do not know if a 2wd bearing fits the 4x4 spindle. They look the same but i have not verified. The only vehicle that i know of that uses 1 hub design for both 2wd and 4wd is dodge. GM has 2 seperate hubs.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just order Front hubs/bearings for your year model in 2wd. That's all I did when I removed mine.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:37 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There u go. End thread ^^^^^

Quick Reply: running without front axle shafts and wheel bearings?