Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

RPM's jumping! need input.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM's jumping! need input.

Not sure exactly what is goin on and dont know too much about transmissions. I dont even know is that is what my problem is...

I was driving to work this morning on the highway, crusing at around 65-70. I go to accelerate a little to pass someone when my rpm's suddenly jump up to 4K! but the truck dident go anywhere. I let of and just let it coast. When I touched the gas again to see if it did it again, it did. Now whe I gave it some throttel the rpms would jump really high but it would only accelerate VERY minimaly. When I get off the highway and get to a stop sigh I was scared it wouldent move, but it did. It drove fine. But as soon as I got out of either 1st or 2nd it started doing it again. Any one have any ideas?

I think I will be able to make the drive home (about 20 miles).
Old 12-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Launching!

oh yea, I checked the fluid, looks fine. maybe a little low?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it doesnt smell burnt? sounds like a reg tranny slip to me. And its a 2000 so Im going to guess you have a good bit of mileage on it?

explain again... what shifts is it slipping in?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Launching!

yea, I have 94K on it. I dident smell anything burnt, but then again I had the heater on. Any ideas on what to check before I try to drive it home?

As far as it slipping, wouldent that only happen when it is shifting? because this is happening while just trying to accelerate without downshifting. I dont know too much about transmissions, any info would be great.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Launching!

its only doin it in 3rd and 4th i believe, im not positive. In stop and go it is fine, until it get to about 20 mph.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

hmmm... that almost sounds like the bands are catching to pull it into the next gear but the clutch paks are slipping once your in the gear... I would drive it home manually shifting on the column and see if that drives any easier for you... it'll be a slow drive, but try shifting early out of first (like 2k rpms) and early out of 2nd and you might just have to drive in 3rd instead of letting it go into overdrive.

but it def sounds like a tranny problem. But its weird that the fluid isnt burnt.

what do u have done to the truck... mod-wise i mean?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Launching!

no serious mods, intake and exhaust.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

but ya know.. your still sub 100k miles on that tranny.. it really shouldnt be having those problems yet. But ive seen ppl chunk these trannies with a stock truck at 50k so maybe you just need to bring it in to get checked. But dont let anyone do any work on it.. just let someone diagnoise the problem for ya, unless you think you can figure it out on your own after taking it apart. If your mechanically inclined, its time to build that sucker up a tad. Its really not expensive to do a shift kit and servos yourself and replace the bands or whatever it is that is making it slip to begin with. I wouldnt pay anyone to do it tho.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Launching!

yea, i planed on puting a transgo and a vette servo in their but havent had the money to. Hopefully I can get one of my more knowledgeable friends to stop by tonight to give a look at it with me. Thanks for the help man.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nigel215
oh yea, I checked the fluid, looks fine. maybe a little low?
I would check the fluid level first. Check it warm and ideling. You also may want to invest in a bottle of Lucas Trans Fix. I've put two bottles through mine during my 5 transmission pulls and it seems to help.

Quick Reply: RPM's jumping! need input.