Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Is this the right way to set/measure my pinion angle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Is this the right way to set/measure my pinion angle?

OK so i finally measured my pinion angle... I followed the directions in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAQgLbhQ0uk

So my rear end is pointing downward 5* and my drive shaft is point downwards towards the rear end 0*.. So my pinion angle is -5* correct? I have read that -2* is optimal. So adding some 3* shims and I should be set or did i screw up in the calculations?

Last edited by BlackGMC; 02-06-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:01 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember watching that vid a long time ago. Sounds like your measuring right to me.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Resident Retard

Well i have read another thread on gmfullsize, where they say to measure the trans tooo. So here are all of my measurements

Trans -5* pointing down towards the rear end
Drive shaft 0*
Rear end -5* pointing down towards the front of the truck.

I don't have any vibrations, i was just board today and figured i would measure it....
Old 02-06-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Well i have read another thread on gmfullsize, where they say to measure the trans tooo. So here are all of my measurements

Trans -5* pointing down towards the rear end
Drive shaft 0*
Rear end -5* pointing down towards the front of the truck.

I don't have any vibrations, i was just board today and figured i would measure it....
LOL, I need to do the same to my truck. Where were you able to get your truck on a lift to measure? You work at a shop?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by 1bad2k
LOL, I need to do the same to my truck. Where were you able to get your truck on a lift to measure? You work at a shop?
I did it in the ground in my garage. Sliding under a lowered truck at ride height is a little difficult but i managed.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I did it in the ground in my garage. Sliding under a lowered truck at ride height is a little difficult but i managed.
Thats what I was wondering lol. Ive got a 2/4 drop on my truck, and need to set the pinion angle. Seems tough to get under there and work with it lowered. Im near ft worth too which is why I asked.

Where did you pick up the angle finder?Ive looked, but havent seen them anywhere....
Old 02-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks correct to me Corey. Just remember, -2 is just a starting point. Some trucks like -1, and others I've messed with have needed as much as -4.5... The track and your ***-o-meter will tell the tale.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by 1bad2k
Thats what I was wondering lol. Ive got a 2/4 drop on my truck, and need to set the pinion angle. Seems tough to get under there and work with it lowered. Im near ft worth too which is why I asked.

Where did you pick up the angle finder?Ive looked, but havent seen them anywhere....
I go the finder at harbor freight. Ya sliding up under the truck at ride height sucks...

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Looks correct to me Corey. Just remember, -2 is just a starting point. Some trucks like -1, and others I've messed with have needed as much as -4.5... The track and your ***-o-meter will tell the tale.
Thanks man, i am gonna try the 3* shim...
Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have set pinion angles, and watched that video. I surprised that they didn't measure the transmission. They were basically assuming that the transmission was mounted perfectly level. You need to check the yoke at the tranny and see if it is zero. If it is zero then the videos method will work fairly well. If it isn't zero then you can't go by that video. Remember, all you are really looking for is zero degrees when under full throttle. There is more to it than what the video showed. Bushings, Caltracs, HP all have a factor in it.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I just checked a few articles, and now I am way confused. Lol. I guess everyone has a different opinion on how to set it. I have always measured the tranny, and the rear yokes. I will have to read up on this more later this evening.

Quick Reply: Is this the right way to set/measure my pinion angle?