Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

rebuilt 4l60 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilt 4l60 problems

ok i am by no means the best mechanic but know my way around a lil bit and i like to learn and do stuff myself and im not scared to ask for help when i really need it. i had my tranny rebuilt last week with the help of a few friends and it went really well. the last thing to do was put the valve body together and it was just me and a buddy at that time and i was being rushed and ended up using wheel bearing grease to hold the check ***** in.... well i put everything back together and topped of the fluids and hoped for the best and backed it out the shop and it rolled out great. put it in drive and it barley wanted to go. so shifted it from first to drive once i started rolling. after about 4 miles or so it didnt want to go at all, no reverse or nothing, it will only go in drive now and i have to throttle it up to get it to roll and then goes ok. so before i go and drop it all over again would the check ***** covered in a thick grease be a possibility to why its acting up or maybe the tq not locked in or what could it be???? any help please! open to any down puts or whatever it be but just need some suggestions plz.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:22 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you forgot to do the 60E zipper mod.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Teching In

I know you topped off the fluid, but was it enough? Also, did you pre-fill your torque converter before reinstalling it?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is full of oil then something was probably missed. When you had an issue after pulling out of the garage that was your sign. You should not drive it when there is an issue. Despite the grease being used you probably hurt something by now. I would get it back apart and make sure to use assembly grease or vaseline next time around. You could try to remove the valve body to clean it out and then reinstall it. However like I said I think you might have already damaged this unit. Vince
Old 04-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Teching In

what is a zipper mod?? and i went to a local tran shop to get everything including a new tq and the guy said he put some oil in it and for me to add one more quart and it would be good...
Old 04-07-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to tell you this but the transmission will need to come back out. Rebuilding transmissions is not a DIY job unless you already have experience in it. Hope you get it fixed up!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 20chevy01
what is a zipper mod??
It makes repeated transmission removal a snap...or a zip

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=480129

Trending Topics

Old 04-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Teching In

i was hoping i would just get lucky but for me there is no such thing. but i did drop the vavle body and checked it all out. there wasnt really any metal in the pan just a little bit of what smelled like clutch. but wasnt really to much there. i was looking over some papers that had to do with the body and it showed the bolt layout and i noticed that some were mixed up and the diagram says that if they were not installed poperly that it would cause it to lock up... idk why but i hope that if clean it all up and put it back the way it is supposed to be it might work. at least enough to get it out the shop to clear the bay for a few weeks till i can get another one....
Old 04-07-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 20chevy01
i was hoping i would just get lucky but for me there is no such thing. but i did drop the vavle body and checked it all out. there wasnt really any metal in the pan just a little bit of what smelled like clutch. but wasnt really to much there. i was looking over some papers that had to do with the body and it showed the bolt layout and i noticed that some were mixed up and the diagram says that if they were not installed poperly that it would cause it to lock up... idk why but i hope that if clean it all up and put it back the way it is supposed to be it might work. at least enough to get it out the shop to clear the bay for a few weeks till i can get another one....
if the wrong valve body bolt is installed in the wrong spot it will protrude into the case and lock the reverse input drum or sunshell to the bolt.

make sure this is not the case...i posted a few pics of my build a while back, hope it helps some...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...resh-pics.html
Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 PM

Heres the thing if the issue was with a bolt being in the wrong spot and locked up the sun shell, then you should have had a bad bind up in reverse from the get go. I'm doubting that this is the case from your original post. Vince

Quick Reply: rebuilt 4l60 problems