Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Re:60e, & radiator problems ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re:60e, & radiator problems ???

I just put my new tires on, & haven't even paid for that.
Now, it appears my tranny is leaking worse. Last time I looked, the tailshaft housing seal had a leak. I haven't gotten under lately, but the ground has a wet spot where I park all the time.

-So, for those that tried/ did build themselves, how much did u spend to build your 60e? Yes, I want a built unit.

-What do u consider as necessary upgrades? I plan on F/I in future. I'd wanted a FLT, but my $ situation isn't well.

-Those that built themselves, did they stay together under added power beyond stock?

Problem #2 I have some type of coolant leak. Around 1 of lines that connect to radiator, there's some dirty residue. I was going to tighten w/ a flare wrench, but...noticed some weird little seal. How do ya get that off/ tighten?

-Any pics of a special seal tool? I'm thinkin it's a smaller version of the plastic fuel line or A/C line removal clip tool like I had to use on my '90 Stang to remove fuel lines.

-This thing lost 2qts Antifreeze. I'm not seeing any clues other than that fitting at rad. I smell it & it's goin somewhere. Any ideas?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Leak is on ground right at tailshaft. Looks like I gott spring for a new bushing seal. Anyone got ideas on my other questions?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:15 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's attack these one at a time...

Tailshaft seal, could just be the seal (they do leak from time to time), or the bushing could be worn out. You could try replacing the seal first or go straight for the seal and bushing from the start. Make sure that the yoke that slips into the trans is smooth and free of debris also.

This leak at the radiator, is it at one of the trans cooler lines? Coolant shouldn't leak there, if there is coolant there the radiator may be cracked internally. As for removing the trans cooler lines, you remove the clip with a pocket screwdriver or pick, and the line pulls right out. If the fitting going into the radiator is leaking around the threads, you could try a little teflon tape to try and seal it up.

I've noticed that mystery coolant leaks on these trucks can often be traced back to leaking water pump gaskets...sometimes they won't leave a puddle or a noticable trail, but will leak considerably
Old 06-11-2009, 10:23 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Also check the trans fluid level and make sure that it's not overfilled, if the radiator is leaking internally, this would introduce coolant into the trans and ATF into the coolant, which would look milky and cause your hoses to swell. Not saying this is the case, but if you have coolant leaking out of one of the trans cooler lines (if I read your post correctly), this is possible.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by budhayes3
This leak at the radiator, is it at one of the trans cooler lines? Coolant shouldn't leak there, if there is coolant there the radiator may be cracked internally. As for removing the trans cooler lines, you remove the clip with a pocket screwdriver or pick, and the line pulls right out. If the fitting going into the radiator is leaking around the threads, you could try a little teflon tape to try and seal it up.

I've noticed that mystery coolant leaks on these trucks can often be traced back to leaking water pump gaskets...sometimes they won't leave a puddle or a noticable trail, but will leak considerably
I thought tailshaft seal was same as t.s. bushing. So, the seal resides in the bushing?
IDK whether it coolant or tranny leakin @ rad., my guess is tranny since it's on lower line. Has that greasy residue all on the lower line.

See, I originally thought w/p, but saw nothing there. I'd hate to tear it down & it not be it. No, I wouldn't blame you, just sayin. So, when does w/p leak? When runnin down road in such a small amount, I can't see? I'll relook there too.

Last I checked, tranny level was fine. No milky. Diameter of leak on ground is now 6-12" in diameter. Even in winter, fluid level was fine. It seems to be a delayed shift when hammering it. IDK how to descibe the way it shifts better than that.

Thx for tips.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I thought tailshaft seal was same as t.s. bushing. So, the seal resides in the bushing?
IDK whether it coolant or tranny leakin @ rad., my guess is tranny since it's on lower line. Has that greasy residue all on the lower line.

See, I originally thought w/p, but saw nothing there. I'd hate to tear it down & it not be it. No, I wouldn't blame you, just sayin. So, when does w/p leak? When runnin down road in such a small amount, I can't see? I'll relook there too.

Last I checked, tranny level was fine. No milky. Diameter of leak on ground is now 6-12" in diameter. Even in winter, fluid level was fine. It seems to be a delayed shift when hammering it. IDK how to descibe the way it shifts better than that.

Thx for tips.

I'm not 100% sure, but I was under the impression that there was a bushing in the tailshaft housing behind the seal, that was separate from the seal...I could be wrong though (wouldn't be the first time lol )

As for the water pump gaskets, my buddy's 01 5.3 was losing coolant at a pretty rapid rate, but nothing was showing up on the ground and there were no evident stains. After seeing some pics on this site, of some wp gaskets that were deformed and squished out, I told him to check his and sure enough that was the problem.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not sure, but again, the last tranny I put in was awhile ago. That was on my '89 c1500. I think I did a seal on the '89. The only tranny I ever built was a 350 THM, w/ help. Anyway, a bushing or seal is inexpensive. Or both.

If I beefed it up, see post #1,; I wonder how much $?

-I'd think ~$100 Transgo Shift Kit
-All gaskets/ seals/ bushings, the Rebuild Kit would prolly be a better name ? $3-400
-Nice, Deep pan, like a TCI or Hughes ~ $175

From there, IDK. I want this to handle FI.

I forgot bout 5 pinion planet(s). And so on...
I've debated on a vertor. Stock, TBTC, or modded. Modded would put me in the poorhouse right now. More so.

Last edited by fastnblu; 06-11-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: 5 pinion planets? $$$ Who knows what else?