Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Quick Question on 2/4

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds Good......Actually I cut the stup off flush with the nut and then grinded a little bit on it and it still didnt work! I am gonna have to trim prolly 3mm more off the nut and stud to get them to work! Hate to do that but really no other way unless I buy some other wheels...I have another set but I'm not ready to run them on it yet....need funds for tires...ha ha. Thanks for the info pal!
Old 07-25-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

did your spindles come with a thinner nut? My belltech's did. The nut is about 1/4" thick, thats why you're supposed to stake it so it wont back out. I tried to grind the stock ball joint nut, but it took too long, so I used the included nut.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Launching!

My spindles did not come with a shorter nut. Thats really what it needs! I will look again in the box but I'm almost positive it didn't. I think I seen two lock washers and some lube in there but that was it.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seem to remember my spindles coming with shorter nuts as well (thought since I have 20" rims i didn't have to mod anything)...

The rear hangers are not NEARLY as hard as the fronts, thought I found them to take a bit longer as I actually dropped the fuel tank OUT. I have heard though that you can just loosen the fuel tank hangers and push the fuel tank to the side.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Well, put shorter nuts on them and got them to clear finally! The rear hangers were awful to do.....I grinded and chizled till I was blue in the face! I do alot of mechanic work and even run a small buisness on the side but I dont think I would ever do one of those jobs for a customer. The factory rivets are just a son of gun to get out, even after they are cut and grinded flush!

One thing I am curious about! There are only four bolts in my new hangers, dont seem to be real stout. Will these possibly break at the drag strip???? I am running about 400hp to the wheels.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

They shouldn't break. Do you have caltracs or other traction devices? If you have something that puts stress on the hanger or spring eye, you might want to check the bolts for loosening once in a while. If the bolts are tight, you'll be ok. Just like a bolt in notch, if thebolts are tight, its strong.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chevytruckguy
They shouldn't break. Do you have caltracs or other traction devices? If you have something that puts stress on the hanger or spring eye, you might want to check the bolts for loosening once in a while. If the bolts are tight, you'll be ok. Just like a bolt in notch, if thebolts are tight, its strong.
Nope no traction devices, trucks hooks well on the street....well it did til I went to a 4.10 gear, now it is nuts in first and second but I have had some radials on it at the track and soon to have some slicks on it so I was curous about breaking stuff....those little bolts just dont seem hard enough for the hangers. I didnt think there would be alot of stress there but my dad is a worry wart and he thought that wouldnt be very good for drag racing.

Can someone measure the rear shackles for me and tell me how far the mounting points are apart? My truck supposedly had 2" shackles on it but after the 2" hangers and 2" spindles, it still sets higher in the rear....I hate that. So I'm thinking he may have put 1" hangers on it instead of two! If I can get that fixed then it will finally suit me!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

As long as you used grade 8 bolts you'll be ok. I believe the top hole is about 1.5" apart from the lower hole on the shackle. 2/4 drops are known to give you less than 4" in the rear on some trucks. It also depends if you have a bumper or roll pan, spare tire, and hitch.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chevytruckguy
As long as you used grade 8 bolts you'll be ok. I believe the top hole is about 1.5" apart from the lower hole on the shackle. 2/4 drops are known to give you less than 4" in the rear on some trucks. It also depends if you have a bumper or roll pan, spare tire, and hitch.
Not sure if they were grade eight or not, they were supplied with the hangers, they were shiny and not black. I am going to check everything this week because it had some rought treatment this weekend on the power cruise in somerset, Ky.
Yea I have a bumper, no spare tire and no hitch though......I am thinking that my shacles are bolted like 4" apart or something wont know the actual measurement until I get home tonight. When I say 4" apart, I mean from where the bolt runs through the top down to where the bolt runs through the bottom. I have to get one more inch outta the back or raise the front up a bit somehow....just not what I'm looking for yet!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Personally if you want it 2/4 Id take the shackle out and get 4 inch drop hotchkis leafs in back and a 2 inch spindle for the front.