Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Pulled junkyard 80e pan, should I be worried? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the pic's of the trans case look normal to me. The pick of the rear planet with what you think is missing is actually for balancing. That's not an issue. Take the over run and OD planet assembly apart and I'm pretty confident you are going to find your issue. HTH Vince
Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince B
All the pic's of the trans case look normal to me. The pick of the rear planet with what you think is missing is actually for balancing. That's not an issue. Take the over run and OD planet assembly apart and I'm pretty confident you are going to find your issue. HTH Vince
So those pieces that look like they are chunked are actually fine the way they are? That would be awesome, would explain why I dont see any broken pieces in the case.

Wasn't doubting you initial post on the OD component, just wanted to throw up some pics and have someone who knows what they are looking at confirm.

Appreciate your help.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:20 AM

Yes that is just the way they are casted with the mods. Not to worry!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Looks like the springs from the over drive roller clutch. I personally would not install the unit until it was opened up.
Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
I totally agree with Vince. There simply aren't too many dainty components like those in the unit. The O/D roller clutch has a plastic bearing retainer so that leaves little doubt.

There will more components affected unfortunately... good luck with it man. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear. But it's good that you asked before installing it!

g
^^Winners!

Not too bad though, could have been worse.

Thinking stock rebuild with shift kit and HD sprag

Thanks for the help guys
Old 03-10-2012, 04:00 PM

You will have to replace the over run drum, the OD one way clutch and the OD planet. I would try to go back with the early style with the large rollers if it were me.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Launching!

You will have to replace the over run drum, the OD one way clutch and the OD planet. I would try to go back with the early style with the large rollers if it were me.
By early style are you referring to the 01 and down 16 element sprag? I had thought this transmission was from an 03 but from searching the OD roller clutch above looks to be the 01 and down style. So just keeping the stock sprag that's there now would suffice?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by 03RCSB
By early style are you referring to the 01 and down 16 element sprag? I had thought this transmission was from an 03 but from searching the OD roller clutch above looks to be the 01 and down style. So just keeping the stock sprag that's there now would suffice?
Yes I like the large roller design with the all black plastic cage. The blue and black plastic cage is the late design. This was suppose to be an updated part however I have seen more of these fail or damage the OD planet and still look good. When I say early I make reference to the 01 and earlier design with the .309 OD rollers. You will find in some 01 units that you could have the .196 OD which I call the late design. Now to put a spin on all this year specific stuff. In some of the later units you could still have the early design but it would depend on the build code of the unit and what the unit was in to begin with. I honestly do not have all the info on what units had what until I get them apart and in most cases I tear down units and then order parts when doing this kind of stuff. I hope this answered your question here. Vince
Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Yes I like the large roller design with the all black plastic cage. The blue and black plastic cage is the late design. This was suppose to be an updated part however I have seen more of these fail or damage the OD planet and still look good. When I say early I make reference to the 01 and earlier design with the .309 OD rollers. You will find in some 01 units that you could have the .196 OD which I call the late design. Now to put a spin on all this year specific stuff. In some of the later units you could still have the early design but it would depend on the build code of the unit and what the unit was in to begin with. I honestly do not have all the info on what units had what until I get them apart and in most cases I tear down units and then order parts when doing this kind of stuff. I hope this answered your question here. Vince
Thanks for all of the good info Vince!

I went ahead and called up Jake's Performance and got a basic rebuild kit, shift kit and the same OD roller clutch I have now. I will check the intermediate roller clutch when I pull the rest apart and upgrade if needed.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:41 PM

You should have a 34 element sprag in your unit already but I would recommend replacing it as well with a new one. In most cases the drum and reace will still be good so can get away with just replacing the element. With the damage you had in the OD section you will need to replace the OD planet and the over run drum I mentioned above. Good luck with the build. If you have any questions just let me know. Vince
Old 03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Launching!

For the OD planet and drum replacement, I took the planet completely apart, cleaned out all the bits of plastic, reinstalled the four gears and it seems to be fine, I cant find any damage. Is replacing these parts just for peace of mind or are they likely to go out based on what happened to the OD clutch? Not questioning you, just for my own curiosity.

Also, the output shaft had a bolt on yoke, do I need to replace it or this current one will work fine with the slip yoke?

Quick Reply: Pulled junkyard 80e pan, should I be worried? (pics)