Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Pinless accumulators

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snakeoiler
Well, I have been curious about the compatability between the pinless and the transgo kit. I tried to get transgo on the phone to answer some of the questions, but no one answered the phone.

But this does coincide, and possibly explain what I found on the tranmissionspecialty.com : "Note: This pinless accumulator piston™ kit does not work with OEM two accumulator spring applications."

So what I am understanding is, for the 1-2, you used the pinless in the stock spring/configuration and on the 3-4 you used the pinless with the transgo kit spring/configuration

Correct.

For the 1-2 the setup is stock, except for the pistons(Sonnax).

For the 3-4 I used the Sonnax piston, along with the Transgo spring(Orange?).

This setup seems to work really well. Ill be at the meetup this weekend if want to go for a ride.*edit*- Never mind, youre from W. Va.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes
below, where the pin used to be -stock 2 springs
above, between sonnax piece and sep plate- transgo spring

I think it was yellow
not sure though
Old 02-15-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emperor72
. . . Never mind, youre from W. Va.
Hey, watch it - remove the West from that
Old 02-15-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gamedawgx53
oh yeah
and when you put the ball in the hole
"where the pin used to be"
take a punch a little larger than the hole
and smack it a few times so the ball wont shoot out
I think its called stakeing it
In doing this for the FORWARD ACCUMULATOR, that was the only way I could get the ball into the hole (and I used both ***** as the directions called for)

I will be doing the 3-4 accumulator later tonight.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old thread, but relevant to me. When using the pinless 3-4 accumulator with a transgo SK kit, which direction do I install the pinless accumulator piston? Spring toward the plate (factory style) or spring toward the case (how transgo instructs)?
Old 06-24-2015, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

For anyone who is curious I installed the pinless accumulators along with the transgo SK 4l60e shift kit and a vette servo. On the 1-2pinless accumulator you have to use the stock springs. On the 3-4 pinless accumulator I installed the transgo spring and installed the accumulator in the transgo orientation (spring toward the case). Seems to be working fine.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

you got pics of the springs you used? I just have a box of all the stock stuff when I did my trans-go and I'm about to install a pinless 1-2, and I can't recall what the spring looks like.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GM1697
you got pics of the springs you used? I just have a box of all the stock stuff when I did my trans-go and I'm about to install a pinless 1-2, and I can't recall what the spring looks like.
Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the springs. There were multiple variations of OEM springs used on the 1-2 accumulator. I believe mine may have been green?

If you go to some transmission parts websites they show many different OEM accumulator springs. Some OEM springs may be red, purple, white, or other colors. I think purple is the stiffest OEM color.

On my vehicle the OEM spring was smaller than the pad on the pinless piston for the 2nd accumulator.

On the 4th accumulator the spring sat in the groove machined into it.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by offroadrider12
Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the springs. There were multiple variations of OEM springs used on the 1-2 accumulator. I believe mine may have been green?

If you go to some transmission parts websites they show many different OEM accumulator springs. Some OEM springs may be red, purple, white, or other colors. I think purple is the stiffest OEM color.

On my vehicle the OEM spring was smaller than the pad on the pinless piston for the 2nd accumulator.

On the 4th accumulator the spring sat in the groove machined into it.
Alright, thanks, I gotta dig into that box of parts. Were you able to do the forward pin less piston with the valve body in the truck? I'm gonna try to do 1-2 and fwd with it still in.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:23 PM

I'm assuming its the larger green one, the blue one is super soft in comparison.

and idk where the little one came from haha

Pinless accumulators-img_7147.jpg

Quick Reply: Pinless accumulators