Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

The passenger side of my truck is higher than the driver's side.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The passenger side of my truck is higher than the driver's side.

I have a 2WD 2002 Silverado, single cab, stepside. The suspension is all stock. The problem is the passenger side of the truck sits about .5" higher than the driver side. What could sause this? Any suggestions on fixing it? It's driving me crazy. Thanks a lot.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

do a search on "Chevy lean" it seems to be common on the 2WDs. I have a 4x4 so I never read into it but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

chevy lean. i think it has something to do with the gas tank being on the drivers side...27 gallons sounds heavy to me
Old 04-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Mine...same thing...took it to the dealer after 5000 miles and they told me "it was in spec?"...what ever in spec means....
Old 04-16-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've taken measurements, over time, with differing levels of gas. The right/left difference, on average is always the same, no matter how much gas is in the tank. Now I do see a difference in height between an empty tank and a full tank, but that change in height is the same for both the left and right sides (about two or three tenths of an inch). For me, this rules out the gas tank on the left playing a part in the lean.

I have yet to come up with anything conclusive about what is causing the problem, but I do have averages in height differences of .71" in front and .83" in rear.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
I've taken measurements, over time, with differing levels of gas. The right/left difference, on average is always the same, no matter how much gas is in the tank. Now I do see a difference in height between an empty tank and a full tank, but that change in height is the same for both the left and right sides (about two or three tenths of an inch). For me, this rules out the gas tank on the left playing a part in the lean.

I have yet to come up with anything conclusive about what is causing the problem, but I do have averages in height differences of .71" in front and .83" in rear.
I agree. I've taken measurements before with a full tank and an empty tank. I saw no difference in the ride height. The cause for "Chevy lean" is a mystery to me.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

if it was a 4x4 then i would say it is due to worn rear springs or torsion bar.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I feel like a dumbass for not figuring out this is a common problem. I've had the truck a week and the lean has been driving me crazy....

Thanks for the help, looking through older threads about the lean has given me some ideas to fix it.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Cruise around with a Fat Chick, she'll level it out.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
Cruise around with a Fat Chick, she'll level it out.

I think it could also be in the fit & finish of the actual body rather than the frame. Once they began building them, they aren't going to stop because of a very small misalignment of a body part.
The best way to measure the frame components would be in the spacing from the A-arms to the frame or something common in that area.
Let us know which one it is.
I wonder if swapping the springs would change anything?

Jim

Quick Reply: The passenger side of my truck is higher than the driver's side.