Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Nv3500 strength

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running 512 hp at the wheel and 4x4 with no problems at all
Old 12-23-2019, 12:08 AM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

yes, this is 5yrs old... copy

but i've been running a bolt-on 5.3 with mine for the last 10yrs just fine. it ain't so much the power that kills them (within reason); it's weight & heat. mine was fine until a month ago when it started making this rough grinding sound in all but 4th after pulling a 7000lb trailer like a retard up/down mountains & running at 70-75 in 5th for a 12hr trip. that's the same thing that kills T56s when dudes try to tow with them or rage around in crew cab or suburban swaps.

doing a .5 to .75 qt extra on the fluid helps tone down the whine, and keeping the clutch fluid fresh helps with the shifts... but still don't expect much above 4500rpm, especially on the older hydraulics that have thin plastic tubing for half the line.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _zebra
yes, this is 5yrs old... copy

but i've been running a bolt-on 5.3 with mine for the last 10yrs just fine. it ain't so much the power that kills them (within reason); it's weight & heat. mine was fine until a month ago when it started making this rough grinding sound in all but 4th after pulling a 7000lb trailer like a retard up/down mountains & running at 70-75 in 5th for a 12hr trip. that's the same thing that kills T56s when dudes try to tow with them or rage around in crew cab or suburban swaps.

doing a .5 to .75 qt extra on the fluid helps tone down the whine, and keeping the clutch fluid fresh helps with the shifts... but still don't expect much above 4500rpm, especially on the older hydraulics that have thin plastic tubing for half the line.
I had forgotten about this thread! But thanks for posting , I don’t think anyone will be upset with an update on relevant information. A couple of years ago, I sold a guy some parts and he drove his turbo 8.1 truck over with an NV3500 and he said other than doing a few bearing jobs his hasn’t skipped a beat. And he also said he didn’t baby it either.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:18 PM
makes children cry

haha, i've seen some of Ed's videos. was it his pewter one or the red one he built for somebody?
and my nv4500 swap is just wrapping up. i ran a core/hurst shifter on mine for about 5yrs, and that definitely took a lot of the slop out... but you gotta get that 2-3 shift right or you're hitting the gate.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

The NV4500 loves being slammed into third!

Funny we were sorta arguing just a few months ago how the NV3500 is strong but has the Achilles heal of burning up in OD with a load. Then you went and burnt one up!
Old 01-07-2020, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 136 Likes on 97 Posts

I hope mine does fine in a light s10 with small tires. My nv1500 can be shifted with like 1/4 of the clutch depressed if not slightly less.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:12 AM
makes children cry

never dealt with nv1500s, but i know they're smaller & have lighter-duty parts. if you've got more than the 4-banger, i'd guess even the S10/S15 version of the nv3500 would be an easy swap... but i'd double-check that on one of the mid-size forums.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

Theres supposedly an HD version of this trans that was in an older dodge for a couple years. The chevy was rated at 310ft lbs, and the HD version was 350ft lbs. NO CLUE what the difference is, but sure would like to know if that's something that can be upgraded.

Mines starting to cause problems. I drive as aggressive as I can about 80% of the time, (15-25 over everywhere, revving out in second and third if i can find an excuse to, down to second at 25-30 (depending on how much fuel I have), and at least half throttle around all tight turns). Driving like this in Phoenix, never really caused problems from the heat. My only problems come from revving out 2nd too high, (as in 5500+ for a few seconds cause I can't shift, because I don't want to throw off the torque). If I do this once or twice a year I never notice it, but I did it a few times in a few months, and now have problems down shifting 3-2. If I rev match its okay, but I don't always remember. Been starting to grind a little lately. I'm not a mechanic though, so its probably just a reasonable clutch job needed since I haven't done one in the 10years I've had this going from 90K to 250K.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:45 AM
makes children cry

Originally Posted by adriver
Theres supposedly an HD version of this trans that was in an older dodge for a couple years. The chevy was rated at 310ft lbs, and the HD version was 350ft lbs. NO CLUE what the difference is, but sure would like to know if that's something that can be upgraded.

Mines starting to cause problems. I drive as aggressive as I can about 80% of the time, (15-25 over everywhere, revving out in second and third if i can find an excuse to, down to second at 25-30 (depending on how much fuel I have), and at least half throttle around all tight turns). Driving like this in Phoenix, never really caused problems from the heat. My only problems come from revving out 2nd too high, (as in 5500+ for a few seconds cause I can't shift, because I don't want to throw off the torque). If I do this once or twice a year I never notice it, but I did it a few times in a few months, and now have problems down shifting 3-2. If I rev match its okay, but I don't always remember. Been starting to grind a little lately. I'm not a mechanic though, so its probably just a reasonable clutch job needed since I haven't done one in the 10years I've had this going from 90K to 250K.

but for realz, though, from what i remember: the dodge versions have different input shafts & bellhousing-to-block bolt patterns. since the bellhousing is one with the transmission, you'd likely have to do a dodge engine swap as well.

and i can't remember what truck you have, but if it's a mid-size, those had different tailshaft (or tailhousing) lengths from the full-size versions, too.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

02 Silverado 1500. reg cab with a 4.8 and a 5spd. Nope that's out then, this thing is most likely getting a 5.3 if I ever stop spending money on this new house and start paying off my debt. Hopefully this truck will just go another 600K miles before it needs an oil change.

I don't need a lot of power. I don't tow, and I am driving a pickup to keep me out of trouble. I think I would be happy with a little more, and a better torque curve.

Quick Reply: Nv3500 strength