Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Not so good vibrations.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts
Default Not so good vibrations.

I removed the rear block and decranked the torsion bars the same day that I had new wheels and tires installed on my 05 rcsb 4x4. shortly after I noticed a bad vibration between 40-55 mpg. the shops convinced me it was the tires and I had several replaced making the vibrations better but not completely gone.

While my truck was in the shop getting the rear end replaced I had them put on brand new BFG KO2s. got a great deal on them and the shop does free balancing and rotating for the life of the tires. Leaqvaing the shop I noticed they ride much smoother but the vibrations are still not gone!!! I took it imediantly to get my life time alignment redone at fire stone but still no luck!

To deal with my wheel hop I installed new rear shocks and hoped that maybe that would help with the vibration but still just as bad.

I feel it in the seat and the wheel very harshly bettween 40-55 doesnt matter if I am accelerating or decelerating. both equally as bad. I am going to have the shop rebalance the tires and hope that helps but I cant take this anymore!

Any suggestions?
Drive shaft vibration maybe?
Or wheel bearing?
Old 03-19-2016, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I already commented in your one of your other threads.

Have them road force balance them, not just a regular spin balance.

And if you have aftermarket rims, you better be dam sure the hub bore size is exactly the same or have hub centric rings to take up the difference.

One you know for sure it's not the rims/tires, then you are looking at driveline parts like drive shafts.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

I did read your comment on the other thread but since that one was posted about somthing else I figured I would make a more specific post. So if anyone else has such a mystery they can hopfully find the answer by useing the search bar! That is after I figure out the problem of course.

When I go to get them rebalanced I will have them road force balanced. I do have proper hub bore rings and they fit very tightly so I dont believe that is the problem.

As far as driveline goes what would you start with?
Old 03-19-2016, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

My truck is 2 1/2 higher in the front then the rear so it squats a little could that cause a bad driveline angle and vibration?
Old 03-20-2016, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Very possible, i know you mentioned waiting for coiliver parts to come in but for sake of argument id say throw a cheap set of shocks on the front and see if it helps....have you tried taking the driveline out of the equation yet while its vibrating, being a clutch all you really need to do is push the clutch in whike its vibrating and that will at least in theory eliminate most of the driveline....
Old 03-20-2016, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I thought about buying some cheapos but I just spent alot of money on coilovers, ladder bar, girdle, rear shocks and the new tires I kinda just want to wait. Tomorrow on my way to work Im going to try and rule out the drive line issues.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

So I tested it out today. accelerated to 60 mph which is just passed where it starts to feel smooth. Then pushed in the clutch slide it into neutral let it coast and deccelerate without braking. The vibration picked up right on que at around 55mph and lasted untill right at 40mph.

So that means its not most of the drive train.

I hate to say it but I think it might be the shocks seems like when I hit even a small bump in the road it gets much worse. Bad news is I ordered my coilovers yesterday and they might not be here for 2-3 weeks possibly more since they are custom.

Going to have the bala nce redonethis weekend no matter what but is there anything else I can possibly check myself?

Once again thank you for all the help!
Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like resonance bounce, esoecially if it gets worse after hitting a bump...
Old 03-21-2016, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another thing to check is your cv axles, just simply because they are still turning, but that woukd be constant typicalky not speed related and wouldnt chnage over bumps.....
Old 03-21-2016, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

alright I'm looking at autozone online right now for cheapo replacments. if they are under $50 Im getting them.

Quick Reply: Not so good vibrations.