Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Noisy Truetrac?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noisy Truetrac?

Well, I finally killed my factory G80 unit in my 10.5 rear 2 weeks ago, so after letting it sit in the driveway for 2 weeks, my Detroit truetrac finally arrived!!

It was drop shipped from EATON, which I swear is an American company...

Anyway, after opening the box and seeing "made in Taiwan" in big *** letters on it, I grudgingly installed it in place of my blown G80, set backlash, checked everything and slid in the axles... with the persuasion of my rubber mallet- ODD... my old carrier let the axles slide no problem and I used 12 cans of brake parts cleaner cleaning off the axles, teeth, gears, ect ect and rebuilt the WHOLE rear while I was there...

Well, everythings together and she moves! No noise on the highway, no gear whine... but when I take a sharp slow speed turn, I hear popping/binding that I don't think should be there with a truetrac- it sounds like a locker is back there...

Is this normal? I thought the outrageous price tag for the truetrac was so it was quiet but performed like a locker?

When I hammer it, you get no noise- both tires hook up and haul ***, any speed, any condition (wet/dry/mud ect) but when taking turns say after a stop, its clank, clank, clank, clank, clank, clank, clank, clank. What gives?
Old 11-26-2013, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does that once and a while too, on a 9.5 in 14 bolt. Similar noised from my friends Ford diesel. All work fine, just noisy once in a while
Old 11-26-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There really shouldnt be any noises in there. They work off of worm gears, so there should be no clicking at all.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
There really shouldnt be any noises in there. They work off of worm gears, so there should be no clicking at all.
Thats exactly what I thought!!!

I called Summit Racing and Eaton today. Both told me it was normal. Honestly, im pissed. I would have spent LESS for a damn Detroit locker that would be STRONGER than the truetrac had I known this.

On top of that, it "binds" in sharp turns- you can feel the truck bucking as you turn it. Oh, and the noise has gone down significantly now that I have about 100 miles on it and 10 minutes of just doing figure 8's in a empty Home Depot parking lot. Still has the bindy feeling though.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you add the 8oz or so of friction modifier? It helps with the binding and oddities.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Differentials - Limited Slip Friction Modifier