Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Newly built Tans (mt TBSS)....fighting for 2nd gear, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viciousknid
I don't know why he would say NOT to. Dexron VI is backwards compatible and I actually put it in my trans instead of III because they gave my sister VI instead of III. It's a better formula that was created to meet the demands of newer transmissions.
The new formula reportedly improved Friction Stability 100%, Clutch durability 120%, foaming resistance 150%, oxidation resistance 100%, and maintains viscosity stability while Dexron III breaks down over time.

While you guys obviously dont have reason to worry about warranty, GM will NOT warranty a new transmission that had Dexron III in it.
Talked to him for a few today, he said i could run VI if i wanted to. so i guess i was mistaken, he just said he doesnt and perfers the III, but said i could run VI if i wanted to.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:36 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FLT
Ok here's my question, how did he miss the pin being welded on if you supplied him with D-ring seals for the servo? The servo assembly needs to come out of the case to change those seals. It sounds like your build wasn't done properly to begin with, IMO the trans must come apart 100% for a build-up of any kind. Good luck.

Chuck/FLT
Not only does the servo have to come out but in the list of parts the OP has posted a vet servo for new parts to be installed.

MeanZ71,
I really hope the builder is not trying to sell you a bill of goods. It seems to me that maybe when he had an issue with second gear, he might have been the one to weld the end of the servo pin. This is something that some builders will do in order to tighten up the band when a problem with second or fourth is present.

I personally have never done this. When installing a HD-2 kit it comes with shims to adjust the band. Even before installing the pump you can check the play in the band and make adjustments from there.

In your case you are at the mercy of your local guy at this point. I hope that things turn out for the best and that you get your truck back on the road soon. Vince
Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish my buddies girlfriend would provided the kind of service Chuck and Vince give to non-customers!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

***3/12 Update***
Tranny is in and shifting great now! He put a new kevlar band, drum, and servo pin in and also did a fluid flush. He felt bad he didn't catch the welded pin and wouldn't let me pay for any of the parts or labor (I offered since he has put soo much time in helping me). Overall he's a great mechanic and a great guy, just overlooked something he has never come across. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad it worked out!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:33 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MeanZ71
***3/12 Update***
Tranny is in and shifting great now! He put a new kevlar band, drum, and servo pin in and also did a fluid flush. He felt bad he didn't catch the welded pin and wouldn't let me pay for any of the parts or labor (I offered since he has put soo much time in helping me). Overall he's a great mechanic and a great guy, just overlooked something he has never come across. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
This is great news. The part of this story that makes me feel good for you is that he was straight up with you in the end and did make things right even if it was kind of his fault. That says a lot about his character! I'm happy for you.

If you feel like it....

Seeing as he would not take any money maybe send over some lunch for the shop, get him a case of beer, or even some doughnuts to show your appreciation. Just an idea if you feel you should do something for him. I think he would appreciate it.

Good to hear things worked out. Vince