Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New truck, new problems. Coolant in tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New truck, new problems. Coolant in tranny

Lost 2nd and 4th gear in my new truck last week, fairly sure its due to one of the a-b solenoids going bad. Never slipped, never felt funny, is a bad *** built trans. Shifted perfectly, came to a stop light, started accelerating normally and wouldn't even think about going into 2nd gear. Got all the parts i need and fluid/filter to replace it, go to pull the pan, and find nasty, milky, sweet smelling transmission fluid draining from the pan.

Already have another radiator i can use, so I'm planning to swap radiators, fix the noids in the trans, then take it somewhere and have them flush both systems completely.

Transmission was completely gone through by the builder and everything looked PERFECT two or three months ago. REALLY hoping it hasn't delaminated the clutches or messed anything else up...

Am I fucked here, or think I've caught it early enough and everything will be other with a new radiator and fluid flushes?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just dont use the trans cooler in the radiator.. flush everything and start over with a external cooler.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Going to swap in a different factory radiator... can get cold here in the winter and don't want the trans not getting up to temp in the winter months.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justin, the external coolers will work fine even in OKC. It might take longer to warm up but it'll work. It's not THAT much colder there than it is here north Texas. Plus there are plenty of guys running the cooler much further up north than us.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by f4tal
Justin, the external coolers will work fine even in OKC. It might take longer to warm up but it'll work. It's not THAT much colder there than it is here north Texas. Plus there are plenty of guys running the cooler much further up north than us.
Even without the thermal bypass?

I'm sure it will be fine, just don't wanna break stuff
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im running a TruCool 40 bypassing the Radiator.. Im gonna try and put a restrictor on it this winter to see if it will warm up decent.. It barely breaks 100*..
Yesterday on the way home from work it only got up to 105* and it was 70* ambient.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy
Even without the thermal bypass?

I'm sure it will be fine, just don't wanna break stuff
Yessir... I have a trucool 125k on my stock truck. Trans was mildy rebuilt a few years ago. TX/OK's Winter doesn't affect the trans enough to cause warming issues. Plenty of the DFW guys and some guys here in WF run the trucool 125k without the bypass. Your stall will actually help in getting the trans up to operating temps. You'll be fine, and It's worth the insurance.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Good deal... That 125k must be the same size as the A/C condenser! I'll still probably end up swapping radiator at some point just because.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are not leaking at the radiator, you could get away without buying a radiator. You will need to cap off where the tranny lines go since you will be running an external anyways. Unless you just wanted it for insurance. Either way, I would just run the external cooler as mentioned above. I would also look at the coolant, and see what that looks like. I assume it is pretty bad as the tranny operates at higher pressure than the coolant system.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Get it out right away!!! Moisture will cause corrosion and the milk shake can clog the filter.

Flush it before you drive it!!! Pull the pan and clean what you can. Get the cheapest dex 3 you can find and run it through there.

Pull the line on the bottom of the transmission case at the radiator and run a rubber hose from the line into a bucket. Start it up and let it run out into the bucket. Fill the trans with about 6 quarts each time until you see clean fluid coming out. When it starts to spit turn it off immediately!!!

Take the return line off the transmission and blow the nasty fluid out with a product like cooler cleaner. It will clean and flush the line and it won't harm the transmission if a small amount got in.

When you're all done, pull the pan and change the filter and clean any residue that may be left behind. Then change the solenoids you think are bad. You may find the contamination was causing the shifting issue.

Quick Reply: New truck, new problems. Coolant in tranny