Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New guy, non-pwm 4l60e with lm7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, non-pwm 4l60e with lm7?

Ok, I'm new here as I stated. I'm not, however, new to GM vehicles, specifically the trucks. I've worked as a GM tech for the last 11 years in a GMC shop. I've grown to love the LS series of engines, their efficiency, simplicity, and power potential. I'm building an 84 Wagoneer, using a 2002 LM7, 4l60e, 14bolt rear and D44HD front. Funds are limited, but can be spaced out over time. So, to the heart of the matter. I have in my possession my LM7, which I've gone through with new bearings, rings, and gaskets/seals. I also have a 94 4l60e that's been recently rebuilt. These two items have cost me a grand total of about $600, including the rebuild of the engine. I've posed this question on various forums with pretty much the same answers of "Just use a PWM transmission, it'll be easier." Well, it would be easier if I could fork over the scratch for a PWM transmission. So, the question is, has anybody ever tried to use a non-pwm 4l60e with a LSx engine? This is also a tuning question. See below.

From my research, the 94 4l60e is the same as a 2002 4l60e except for the PWM solenoid and corresponding fluid circuits. If I put a 2002 harness(same part number on Rockauto and Oreilly's as the 94 harness) and PWM solenoid in the transmission, is there a way to program it with HP Tuners to basically nullify the usage of the PWM for the TCC since it still has the on/off TCC solenoid?

I have schematics and connector pinouts of both years of transmissions, the only difference is the addition of one pin in the transmission connector, the extra wires and connector on the internal harness. I've also had discussions with an old GM trans tech about this. He thinks it will work, but is unsure on the programming, as am I. He thinks it will work because he used to fix alot of P1870 codes by installing a heavy spring under the PWM valve in the valve body, which effectively neutered the ability of the PWM solenoid to modulate pressure to the TC.

I understand if no one has any experience with it. I'm trying to be a cheap *** and not get another trans. I'm thinking I'll just do it, see what happens, and then report back here and to LS1tech my findings. All I'll be out is a $60 harness and $30 solenoid. If it doesn't work, I'll just sell the rebuilt 94 4l60e to try and recoup my investment in it.

I will say I'm planning on picking up a HP Tuners interface to have access to the software on my own. Just looking for anyone who might have experience with this.

Thanks for any help you may have to offer.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure if this answers your question but my 01 had the PWM tuned out. Converter was either locked or unlocked no PWM and it was just in the tune.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Teching In

1989k1500, that's one piece of the puzzle. Thanks for the answer. I'm going to try it using a PWM solenoid and new style harness and try to tune the PWM out of the equation. If it worked on your pcm, don't know why it wouldn't on mine.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

j20owner there is a couple other issues you have here. The pump, separator plate, internal wiring harness and the solenoids are different between between the 94 and the 96 and later units. The other issue your going to have is you are going to need to get a custom converter for the pilot going into the crank because the ls series uses a longer pilot then the lt1 style. I personally like to get the right stuff for what I'm playing with but thats just me. Also when it comes to solenoids and harness's I like to stick to an OEM electronics in stuff I build. Best of luck with your project and please update the thread when you get it all figured out. Vince
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 AM
Teching In

I understand the differences between the pump, valve body and separator plate. That's why the PWM solenoid will be only attached to the harness to complete the electrical circuit. I'm not expected to be able to use PWM on this trans. That's why 1989K1500's reply is so important to this attempt.

Also, for the torque converter, I'm doing this. No need for a special torque converter.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Teching In

After many hours of searching and reading, I finally found this thread:
Converting Non-PWM to PWM-LS1tech.com

My 94 trans has a PWM solenoid, a 96+ 3-2 solenoid, and the new style harness. I'll report back here with how it works once I get the Jeep together and running.

FWIW, the PWM solenoid is a dummy, just to complete the electrical circuit and will control no fluid movement in the transmission.