Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New Aftermarket Torque Converter Failing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 06:54 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I know how the Gen 3 GMT800 trucks work, the Gen 4 GMT900 have a little more too them.

I don't know who you are using or how good that person is But If he knows what he is doing you should be fine. If not, Find some one with more experience.
Old 05-14-2023, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I know how the Gen 3 GMT800 trucks work, the Gen 4 GMT900 have a little more too them.

I don't know who you are using or how good that person is But If he knows what he is doing you should be fine. If not, Find some one with more experience.
he’s never tuned these converters and said he’s in the dark with it. but he said if there’s something else that they require in the tuning he can adjust it. so maybe boss hog will give me some insight on it. if we don’t think the torque converter is faulty, then i guess this may make sense
Old 05-14-2023, 07:03 PM
DuNnO

Received 454 Likes on 367 Posts

Seeing the tune and a datalog of the issue would be the easiest way to help. And also a pressure gauge on the transmission.

Everything else is just guessing. But i would throw that converter away and get a better one as well.
Old 05-14-2023, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RDF1
Seeing the tune and a datalog of the issue would be the easiest way to help. And also a pressure gauge on the transmission.

Everything else is just guessing. But i would throw that converter away and get a better one as well.
good to know. what would i be looking for on the datalog?
Old 05-15-2023, 07:11 AM
Launching!

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Did you have the transmission tuned at all?
Or just swap motors and torque converter and not change anything in transmission tune?

What does a datalog show? is it switching between gears, or in and out of lockup, or both.

We're going off very little here.

In your videos...is it in cruise control or are you trying to keep a steady foot?
Old 05-15-2023, 07:12 AM
DuNnO

Received 454 Likes on 367 Posts

Tcc slip
tcc lockup
Shift times
commanded shifts
several small things for the transmission of what it's commanding vs what the transmission is actually doing
Old 05-16-2023, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Did you have the transmission tuned at all?
Or just swap motors and torque converter and not change anything in transmission tune?

What does a datalog show? is it switching between gears, or in and out of lockup, or both.

We're going off very little here.

In your videos...is it in cruise control or are you trying to keep a steady foot?
transmission was tuned as much as it could be before he noticed the fault. he said in the logs “transmission was requesting lockup before shift and it wasn’t locking up” my foot is pretty steady but at about 75% throttle. it’s getting prepped to switch gears but fails to because it can’t lock up.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RDF1
Tcc slip
tcc lockup
Shift times
commanded shifts
several small things for the transmission of what it's commanding vs what the transmission is actually doing
another mechanic is putting it on a pressure gauge right now, then we are going from there. he said he thinks it’s a pressure issue, and doubts the converter is faulty.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:36 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by gavinfaulkner44
another mechanic is putting it on a pressure gauge right now, then we are going from there. he said he thinks it’s a pressure issue, and doubts the converter is faulty.
Did you ever get this sorted out?
Old 07-09-2023, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Did you ever get this sorted out?
had to put stock converter back in, every tuner gave up on the whole project it kinda sucked. lost all the performance that the 2800 stall gave me. they said “it’s too big for a 6l80e or the cam in your truck. which was just bullshit i know people with stock engines with 3000+ stalls. so yeah stock converter is back kinda shitty

Quick Reply: New Aftermarket Torque Converter Failing?