Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New Aftermarket Torque Converter Failing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Aftermarket Torque Converter Failing?

Hey y’all,
I recently cammed my 6.2 L86, it has a 6L80e and we installed a boss hog 2400 stall converter. I want you to watch how this converter attempts to prepare the transmission to shift under heavy load. It doesn’t do this when it’s under light load, but once you give it 50% more it has a really hard time. Tuners thought that maybe this converter just needs a lot of line pressure to get it to shift under heavy load, or it’s a faulty converter out of the gate.
Thanks and please help me out here it’s been a huge road trying to get this truck to run..
Old 05-14-2023, 06:16 PM
Teching In

here’s some footage. if it loads lol.
if it doesn’t, it seems that the TC is failing to lockup before shift, and it’s shifting between both gears almost.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8310.MOV (3.05 MB, 17 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_8307.MOV (10.09 MB, 16 views)
Old 05-14-2023, 06:30 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Those are junk convertors to begin with. Are you sure it was designed to lock up?
The following users liked this post:
MaroonMonsterLS1 (05-15-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Those are junk convertors to begin with. Are you sure it was designed to lock up?
id say that maybe it isn’t supposed to but this isn’t normal, i can’t even shift into my next gear or give it WOT in the same gear i am. it almost feels like insane slipping. i’m now hearing they are junk by everyone else except the guy who told me to buy it, which pisses me off but whatever i’m dealing with it now.

did the videos even load?
Old 05-14-2023, 06:34 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by gavinfaulkner44
id say that maybe it isn’t supposed to but this isn’t normal, i can’t even shift into my next gear or give it WOT in the same gear i am. it almost feels like insane slipping. i’m now hearing they are junk by everyone else except the guy who told me to buy it, which pisses me off but whatever i’m dealing with it now.

did the videos even load?
loaded for me.
I should say the attachment worked and played for me when I opened it.
Old 05-14-2023, 06:36 PM
Teching In

loaded for me.
I should say the attachment worked and played for me when I opened it.
ok good because u cant really understand how i explain it until you watch it. i’m not sure what’s even happening but i know good and well it ain’t right. i am going to send data logs to boss hog. but i’d like to know from others before i listen to them cuz i doubt they give a ****.
Old 05-14-2023, 06:39 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

ok good because u cant really understand how i explain it until you watch it. i’m not sure what’s even happening but i know good and well it ain’t right. i am going to send data logs to boss hog. but i’d like to know from others before i listen to them cuz i doubt they give a ****.
The data log is going to show if the TCU is comanding lock up. From there, it either physically does or does not.
Old 05-14-2023, 06:41 PM
Teching In

The data log is going to show if the TCU is comanding lock up. From there, it either physically does or does not.

so if a converter for example, isn’t supposed to lockup on shift, how the hell do you get it to not do what it’s doing? torque converters always confuse me so pardon me if i’m a little off on what i’m saying.

edit: website says that the wild boar converter is lockup compatible
Old 05-14-2023, 06:47 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

so if a converter for example, isn’t supposed to lockup on shift, how the hell do you get it to not do what it’s doing? torque converters always confuse me so pardon me if i’m a little off on what i’m saying.

edit: website says that the wild boar converter is lockup compatible
I never played with a 6L80E But I would imagine if the transmission is Physically ok, Then the tables in the controller Should be able to be adjusted to make it shift when you want to command it.
Old 05-14-2023, 06:50 PM
Teching In

I never played with a 6L80E But I would imagine if the transmission is Physically ok, Then the tables in the controller Should be able to be adjusted to make it shift when you want to command it.
yeah it’s a brand new transmission like 1000 miles on it. so is that just a TCU tuning issue? i am used to back on older transmissions you would just adjust line pressure etc on the solenoids. i figure my tuner would’ve figured it out if it was that simple. he said he has never seen a torque converter do what it’s doing. he also reached out to his mechanic with CircleD to see if he’s ever seen it. I will hear from him in a couple days. but it’s beyond me at this point lol

Quick Reply: New Aftermarket Torque Converter Failing?