Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Need help on 5" front drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on 5" front drop

I need some help....I have 5" drop in front, - cut the factory springs only but I can't align it anymore. They tell me to put a kit with 2" coils and 3" spindles but I'm in a tight budget. I thought I could just buy the upper arms for 5" to align but I was told that it wouldn't work. Do any of you guys have a 5" drop, if you do I'll appreciate some info. Thanks guys.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 4" front drop using control arms and haven't had a problem aligning it. I think the 5" control arms from djm require the uppers to help with alignment. I don't know if this would work for a 5" spring drop though.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02BlueStepside
I have a 4" front drop using control arms and haven't had a problem aligning it. I think the 5" control arms from djm require the uppers to help with alignment. I don't know if this would work for a 5" spring drop though.
How much was your kit?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:46 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I have the upper and lower control arms with stock springs, its the DJM Calmax 5" kit. Once I try to lift it up to have a 4" drop only by putting the stock upper control arm but "se patio" it even went lower don't know why maybe they are diffrent than the 4" drop control arm. One think you could try with the new arms its try to to adjust them as far out as you can, both bolts, hard to explain but if you need any help just pm me and I'll try to explain better.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by La Chochita
How much was your kit?
I bought it used. I think stylin concepts sells it for around $400
Old 01-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Thanks bro!

...hey jj, you mean I can buy the upper arms for the 5" drop like yours and just with that I could align it, or it wouldn't work with the cut springs?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:19 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Thanks bro!

...hey jj, you mean I can buy the upper arms for the 5" drop like yours and just with that I could align it, or it wouldn't work with the cut springs?
Well what you have its negative camber (patiada) if you just have the stock upper and lower arms and just cut the springs, I do believe the djm upper arm will give you more positive camber, more degrees to work with but Im not sure if it will be enought.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JJ_NLTO
I do believe the djm upper arm will give you more positive camber, more degrees to work with but Im not sure if it will be enought.
Thanks bro......I just wanted to make sure of this, I think I am going to buy the upper arms and try it, if it doesn't work, I guess I'll just buy the whole kit.
Oh I almost forgot....geez, another question. I thaught maybe if I did have to buy a kit I would go with the 3" coils and 2" spindles but a friend told me that I could have trouble steering cause supposely he was told that this kit is recommended for 20" wheels...he told me that he had this kit on his 2000 GMC(aka La Blade, maybe you know him) and he had to grind the lower control arm cause it wouldn't let the rim turn or something like that. He had the rims I have now which are 18*9.5. You know anything about that?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:47 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Thanks bro......I just wanted to make sure of this, I think I am going to buy the upper arms and try it, if it doesn't work, I guess I'll just buy the whole kit.
Oh I almost forgot....geez, another question. I thaught maybe if I did have to buy a kit I would go with the 3" coils and 2" spindles but a friend told me that I could have trouble steering cause supposely he was told that this kit is recommended for 20" wheels...he told me that he had this kit on his 2000 GMC(aka La Blade, maybe you know him) and he had to grind the lower control arm cause it wouldn't let the rim turn or something like that. He had the rims I have now which are 18*9.5. You know anything about that?
http://sportruck.com/howto/slam/1.htm

Thats a link I know its on the OBS but it might help, Also my cousin just put a 4/6 on his OBS and he had to grind the arms also but it was just a little, and it was on his stock rims 15" I would think 18" would be ok if not its just a little grinding, and if you buy the upper control arm and it dosen't work I would think its better to just buy the lower control arm instead of the spindle since you would already have the other arm and by the price I think it would be cheaper.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

If you go with spindles, use mcgaughy's. They make 2 different spindles, one for 16"+ wheels and one for 17"+ wheels. Since you have 18s, that shouldn't be a problem with either. The 17+ spindle I have heard is easier to install.

Quick Reply: Need help on 5" front drop